Post your Portrait shots!

wev

Contributor
BlueHeron6.jpg

spb_stan

Here is a snapshot from Z6 85 1.8 /1/60 ISO 250m SB900 off camera flashm in a pub where my friend Yana and I were having a bite to eat over couple drinks.
Dec0Yana1-.jpg

spb_stan

Here is one I took this morning early, well after midnight last night in a small club I visit often. It was a pretty festive night considering the big party night of the year is New Years.
This is Anastasia, a 42 year old woman I met for the first time last night. A very good dancer and a lovely personality, who seldom goes out but her younger friends demanded she have some fun. She certainly got into it, danced most of the night and I walked her home at 04:30. I will certainly do more photos of her in the future. Details 24-70 S f/4 kit lens, Z6 24mm 400 ISO, 1/60th of sec, SB900 shoe mounted

Dec0Yana1-.jpg

spb_stan

More photos of friends in a restaurant during dinner, this last weekend. One photo is copied using auto WB and the other version is Flash WB
bluepushlin010-2020-.jpg

bluepushlin010-2020--4.jpg
bluepushlin010-2020--3.jpg

Attachments

• bluepushlin010-2020--2.jpg
    bluepushlin010-2020--2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

spb_stan

New Years is a big deal here, officially lasting 10 days of paid holiday plus another another Christmas and a second New Years based on the Orthodox calendar. Lots of socializing, parties and meeting new people. Here are two girls who I met on the 14th of Jan during the second New Year, which is an excuse for going out but it is not celebrated much, and is very casual. The shot Z6, 24-70 f/4 1/120 ISO 200, single on-shoe bounce flash.
The girl on the right is restaurant owner/chef and very attractive in my opinion. we talked about a formal photo session later on. Her friend is a teacher.

bluepushlin010-01--124.jpg

spb_stan

How is everyone doing in lock down. I am in my 3rd week of being in my home and I am anxious to get out an enjoy the spring weather.
Here are a few photos of the last session I did of my friend Antonina, a Jazz singer who just started singing a year ago. I have been helping her in her progress as a singer and she has really developed quickly, already has done a number of club dates and 2 larger concerts. She wanted photos for a new concert for last week but along with everything else it had to be cancelled due to the lock down.She wanted poster and ad photos. I suggested an infinity wall background, white seamless Cyclorama so with no edges seen in the background it would be easy to replace the background.
I set her 15 feet from the rear wall and exposed the wall by cross firing 1000 watt/sec ProFoto strobes with gridded strip boxes on each and setting them to over expose the background. For subject light, used a 6 foot octobox with extra diffuser added pointed down to wash down her body, placed about 4-5 feet over her head on a boom. I used a Z6 for most of the shots but also had the D850. 3/4 of the frames were with the Z6 with 85 1.8 S or 24-70 f/4 S, using 80 ISO, 1/200 and f/5.6. She never posed before and brought 5 changes of clothes.
untitled-231-bp.jpg

Attachments

• untitled-285.jpg
    untitled-285.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

spb_stan

This one is a snapshot in a dim bar of my friend Svetlana, with flowers for her birthday. This was before the virus closed up all places people gather, like this life music pub. She is a pretty girl and rather shy, a really sweet well educated girl. Z6, 24-70 f/4 at f/4.5 and 41mm, 1/50 200 ISO.
Svetlana1.jpg

crycocyon

Been a few years since I posted, been busy with model/fashion work, so here's the most recent with the Nikon D850 with Sigma Art 105mm f1.4, ISO 160, f4.0, 1/125s flash sync.

_DSC8026b2L.jpg

_DSC8004l.jpg

_DSC8163alibL.jpg

_DSC8141l.jpg

Browncoat

An oldie from 2012. Man, time flies.

Found some of these while going through an old Lightroom catalog today. This is when I was experimenting with a dark, edgy look - which is now hip. Guess I was before my time.

20120813-Wahrer-55.jpg

Browncoat

Playing with the new D500 and off-camera flash this evening. Also my first time using color gels.

I bought a MagMod kit (great system, but expensive) and used a 1/2 CTO gel on this. Had a helluva time color correcting this photo in post because it was way too orange. Still looks a bit orange to me, but it might just be this laptop monitor.

Hoping to get the kinks ironed out because I really enjoy doing outdoor shots with flash.

EDIT: Was packing up some gear last night and discovered that I had doubled up the CTO gels in the MagMod - no wonder I had such a hard time fighting off the orange.

Ali.jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
View attachment 346153

Did a maternity shoot this weekend. This is one of my favorites.

Nice, Browncoat! :cool: Although I have (and love) my D750, I really like the fact that the focus points in the D500's viewfinder stretch all the way across the frame - unlike the D750. So I've been toying with the idea of trying a wide angle zoom and/or a normal lens on the D500 to see how well it works for my taste. Seeing your image is pushing me to try it myself sooner rather than later. ;)

Browncoat

Thanks, Cindy. :)

I'm still not 100% with the D500 focus system, but finally have the options and button config to my liking. I'll have to post my setup. I know you do a lot of bird/nature stuff and this setup would be a great jumping off point so you can switch from single point focus to group focus quickly.