Post your Portrait shots!

john*thomas

Best I could do under the circumstances.........Driving along and I see this lady spinning around on the side of the road. Looking for things laying in the street. She has a bag with what look like trash she has been picking up. I watch her for a bit and I really want to take her pic.

I pulled off the road near a place I've photographed before and waited for her. She doesn't pay any attention to me and turns to walk up the stairs. I got up the nerve to ask her if I could take her pic. She stops and turns and just stands there. I click and say "thank you", she very quietly says "you're welcome" turns and goes on her way.

One day I will find her again and ask her about her story.

DSC_0182 - Copy (1487x2500) copy copy copy.jpg

LouCioccio

Granddaughter getting ready for a Holiday Dance recital. Used two umbrellas with Flashpoint Zoom in ttl mode each has a Yonguno YN-622N's. I usually set them in manual mode and use a light/flash meter for exposure. I mounted the flash horizontal with the sensor facing the subject. I had seen a fixture that used velcro and that had ¼ x 20 thread. I looked at the extra foot holder they included used 2 rubber bands. and mounted it on top of the umbrella holder that had ¼ x 20 spigot. I have another shoot this Wednesday I will take and image of how I did this.
Lou Cioccio
DSC_2624web.jpg

LouCioccio

Okay here is the setup of the Yongnuo receiver, Flashpoint Zoom Flash and umbrella. I showed two feet to see the side that had the ¼ x 20 thread. Since it was not a paid job I still would have time to change from TTL to Manual Power Mode. Just remember TTL can be fooled 10% of the time if the background is either too bright or dark. Probably why I like Manual Mode and use of a Sekonic light meter. This worked very well.
Lou Cioccio

DSC_2707web.jpg DSC_2708web.jpg DSC_2711web.jpg

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I mounted the flash horizontal with the sensor facing the subject. I had seen a fixture that used velcro and that had ¼ x 20 thread.
Lou Cioccio

Lou, I have one question. I admittedly don't know much about OCF, but why did you feel it was necessary to point the flash sensor toward the subject? I thought that the camera was what was reading the light for TTL. Thanks.

LouCioccio

The sensor is reading the light off the subject. When using TTL you should be concerned about shutter speed, ambient light and ISO. If you have an external flash like the SB700 and you have it in TTL (it has other modes on slide switch) you will see when focus a red light flash quickly on your subject this is also the focus assist light. The sensor will receive a burst light to determine proper exposure ahh but I set my camera to M-mode selected a shutter speed of 1/125, F/4, ISO 400 it was evening dark out side so I had LED daylight bulbs on. And I just realized Iridient RAW stripped the EXIF (?) not sure why. At the ISO 400 I am allowing more ambient light to fall in the background.

If the sensors were pointed toward the umbrella it would think (remember cameras and computers are dumber than a box of rocks it going take an exposure of white umbrella at 18% gray :rolleyes:. Here is a couple of links explaining TTL.

If I would be shooting in total manual power mode I would not be concerned about the sensor on the Flash.

TTL Flash Metering | Understanding Through-the-Lens Flash Metering

https://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/a-simple-guide-to-ttl-flash-photography/

Lou Cioccio

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
@LouCioccio Your links just reinforced my reason for questioning why the sensor on the flash needs to be pointed toward the subject. (Remember I am thick headed sometimes and it doesn't sink in. Ha!) TTL is "Through the Lens" which is the camera metering and controlling the output of the flash, at least that is the way I understand it. The only time I can see that the flash sensor has to be pointed in any particular direction would be for triggering with the IR Commander mode. Using radio triggers, it is omnidirectional and even goes around corners. The only flashes that I can think of that would need to sense the lighting is the flashes that have automatic TTL where you set the aperture and ISO on the flash as well as setting it for what you want on the camera.

Ok, hammer away. Ha!

LouCioccio

On another note I found out why the EXIF was missing; this is for any Mac Users that use Iridient RAW version 3.1.2, OS-X 10.12.2 and saving from RAW to PSD its' an Apple thing "issue with Apple's image format libraries specifically on Sierra for PSD and not much I can do about that other than re-write the PSD export support which I don't plan to do." from Iridient so I did what he said o output to a TIFF and it worked.
Lou Cioccio