Post your macro photos here

J-see

Shot this one against the light for a change.

134.jpg

wornish

I think you two ( @wev and [MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION] ) are really setting the gold standard here on macro shots.
The sensor on the D3300 and the D5200 really are amazing when used in the right hands.
I have a D800 but I can't get anywhere near this level of detail on macros with my clumsy techniques.
You both should do tutorials !

wev

Contributor
I think you two ( @wev and @J-see ) are really setting the gold standard here on macro shots.
The sensor on the D3300 and the D5200 really are amazing when used in the right hands.
I have a D800 but I can't get anywhere near this level of detail on macros with my clumsy techniques.

Ha! I was just looking at [MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION] 's shots and thinking I should practice more

J-see

I fear my tutorial is short; point the lens into the right direction and push the button. ;)

To be honest, it isn't that hard. I'm shooting macro for no longer than maybe two months now. I just took a lot of shots, tried everything up to the extremes and in that, learned some tricks and shortcuts. But in the end, it's just pointing the lens and pushing the button.

What works for me is: shutter speed rules. I use the sharpest aperture of the lens, usually 7 to 11 and don't bother with trying to close down. That's overrated. But shutter speed = sharpness. And I shoot in burst for a very simple reason; when I push the button, the first shot suffers that push, the second too if shutter is fast but the third is free of that. I ALWAYS shoot in bursts.

Last edited:

wornish

[MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION] I wish. !

Seriously you should post some techniques on the tutorials thread.

Its not about having the right gear to get the best results its about how you get the most out of what you have.
The more I look on this site the more I think that the Nikon DX cameras - D3300, D5200, D7100 sensor is better for Macro than any FX sensor because of the pixel density.
I have yet to see an FX shot that can match the detail you two achieve.

The technique in taking the shot is important but I also get the feeling that the right post processing makes the ordinary - extra ordinary.

J-see

In macro 1:1 is 1:1 whether you shoot FX or DX. But since it is 1:1 and you're seldom filling the whole shot, smaller sensors tend to have an advantage when it comes to quality. That's mainly why I decided not to get the D810.

What is important too is simplicity. At least that's what I try to each time. The less there's in a shot, the easier it is to make that look good.

I might try and write something down about what I do if that might be helpful but I first have to think about what I'm actually doing. I work very intuitive even when there's a method to it. I just need to check what that method is. ;)

Last edited:

wev

Contributor
Seems it's a grasshopper sort of day and this one better be careful -- just one leaf above the lynx

Grasshopper2.jpg

Grasshopper4.jpg