Post your macro photos here

Pierro

And these babies were shot when i moved to Canon, and using another old manual focus macro lens. The spider / forest bug / Fly was with an old Panagor 90mm and these Hover Flies were shot with an old Tamron 90mm

Always amazes me when I see the horrendously shallow DOF , as evident in my pics

Hoverfly 1.jpg

Carroll

#42 and #43 are so sharp I can see what they are thinking! LOL. Nice background bokeh color...

Wow, it's like razor thin DOF, like you said. Are all macro lens this way, or are some better? Seems like it would be extremely difficult to get a "whole body" shot in focus. (Obviously don't know much about this, just really want a macro lens in the future...:))

Pierro

Thanks Carroll

Yup all macro is like this, especially true macro which start at ratios of 1:1 and closer. Some lenses have ' close focus ' marked on them or the word ' macro ' but these can just sometimes be marketing BS to sucker the consumer. Tamron 90mm that used was marketed as a Macro, although strictly speaking, its not true macro but its damn close at 1:2, which means only a 50mm extension tube is needed to achieve 1:1 ( or a 2x TC ) and Tamron built one just for that lens

The best way to get DOF is to use focus stacking, but this doesnt work if your bug is moving

Pierro

Another way is to snap your bug from above rather than head on or side on, but thats not always possible. I shot this little Lacewing ( about 12mm long ) from above and so got much more DOF.

Lacewing full.jpg

Carroll

Another way is to snap your bug from above rather than head on or side on, but thats not always possible. I shot this little Lacewing ( about 12mm long ) from above and so got much more DOF.

Amazing the clarity/focus achieved with a macro lens.

I notice the lens "plane" was tilted somewhat from the "plane" of what the Lacewing is resting on. Was this your technique to match the DOF to the Lacewing? (Noticed better focus at the front from focus at the back of material Lacewing is on)

Lots more going on than meets the eye here....

Pierro

Yes Carroll, i wasnt exactly above the Lacewing, and therefore not exactly square on, so you can see better focus at the head end. If i had shot this at his level, head on at say f16, i would have got his 2 front feelers in focus and not much else

Carroll

Yes Carroll, i wasnt exactly above the Lacewing, and therefore not exactly square on, so you can see better focus at the head end. If i had shot this at his level, head on at say f16, i would have got his 2 front feelers in focus and not much else

Great photos, Pete!

Thanks for the tips...hope you have a great 2013!

TaraJ

Pierro what Tamron 90mm macro are you using? you said it can only get 1:2 ratio.....My Tamron 90mm can get true 1:1 macro without anything attached....Just wondering if there was maybe an older version that didnt get true macro shots?

TaraJ

Happy new year to you also Joe....Thanks for your comment...These guys are pretty special hey...Great little creatures