Post Your Landscape Photos

nikonpup

it it would wait til after the holiday 1-DSC_6387-001.jpg

Fortkentdad

Need a little help selecting one of these to make into a 36x16 canvas print as a gift.
This is the Okotoks Erratic aka "The Big Rock". It is a out of place big rock deposited by the glaciers eons ago.

This one is a stitch of eight images.
Shot with my D610 and a Tamron 20-40 2.7-3.5 (yes 2.7 how odd is that one)
Shot at 40mm and F11, 1/500 and ISO 280 - from the EXIF data.

DSC_7458_stitch 10mb.jpg

Lots of sky - shows how 'erratic' the Okotoks Erratic is.

Then this shot - also the D610 but with a slightly newer version of Tamrons' ultra wide zoom the 17-35 2.8-4.
Shot at F5 (I know now I should have gone with a much higher F stop for landscapes but this worked).
Shot at 24mm, 1/800 and ISO 400

This shot shows the bigness of the Big Rock better and I like the morning light on the rock - I like rock shape in this view better.
But the sky is so bland - I suppose it does not distract from the main subject, but blah blue.

10mb Finalist Big Rock DSC_0024 -1.jpg

And any advice about getting larger prints made. Never had a print made up this large.
Found a shop in Calgary AB ( http://www.artsense.ca) that prints to canvas and mounts it. About $150 CDN.
My wife has a canvas print and she likes the look.

RON_RIP

Need a little help selecting one of these to make into a 36x16 canvas print as a gift.
This is the Okotoks Erratic aka "The Big Rock". It is a out of place big rock deposited by the glaciers eons ago.

View attachment 235489

Then this shot - also the D610 but with a slightly newer version of Tamrons' ultra wide zoom the 17-35 2.8-4.
Shot at F5 (I know now I should have gone with a much higher F stop for landscapes but this worked).

This shot shows the bigness of the Big Rock better and I like the morning light on the rock - I like rock shape in this view better.
But the sky is so bland - I suppose it does not distract from the main subject, but blah blue.

View attachment 235490

And any advice about getting larger prints made. Never had a print made up this large.
Found a shop in Calgary AB ( http://www.artsense.ca) that prints to canvas and mounts it. About $150 CDN.
I have to say that I find the first photo more interesting, although there is something to be said for both.

wornish

Why not put the sky on the first one behind the rock on the second ?

Just an idea.

Both great shots.

Fortkentdad

Why not put the sky on the first one behind the rock on the second ?

Just an idea.

Both great shots.

Good idea - not sure my Paintshop skills are up to doing that well enough for 36" wide enlargement without showing the edges.

I'll see what Misters Google and Youtube show me about how to do this seamlessly.
I hear sky swapping can be done in a way that blends well. ....
Another skill to be learned.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I'll see what Misters Google and Youtube show me about how to do this seamlessly.
I hear sky swapping can be done in a way that blends well. ....
Another skill to be learned.

That's what this photography stuff is all about: Learning new stuff & gaining new skills. Great fun!

"CHRIS"

View attachment 235489

View attachment 235490

I like the first shot for sure. More atmosphere in that shot. The clouds provide a "scale" as to how big the rock formation really is IMO. Same with the fence. I like it.

nikonpup

need a little help selecting one of these to make into a 36x16 canvas print as a gift.
This is the okotoks erratic aka "the big rock". It is a out of place big rock deposited by the glaciers eons ago.

Shot with my d610 and a tamron 20-40 2.7-3.5 (yes 2.7 how odd is that one)
shot at 40mm and f11, 1/500 and iso 280 - from the exif data.

View attachment 235489

lots of sky - shows how 'erratic' the okotoks erratic is.

Then this shot - also the d610 but with a slightly newer version of tamrons' ultra wide zoom the 17-35 2.8-4.
Shot at f5 (i know now i should have gone with a much higher f stop for landscapes but this worked).
Shot at 24mm, 1/800 and iso 400

this shot shows the bigness of the big rock better and i like the morning light on the rock - i like rock shape in this view better.
But the sky is so bland - i suppose it does not distract from the main subject, but blah blue.

View attachment 235490

and any advice about getting larger prints made. Never had a print made up this large.
Found a shop in calgary ab ( http://www.artsense.ca) that prints to canvas and mounts it. About $150 cdn.
i like the first shot, the fence to me is a distraction (first thing i looked at not the subject rock) but it does give scale.
then i might change the horizon. I would ask your printer what his choice would be on how to best print the photo.

Fortkentdad

Thanks to those who helped choose the image, the photo with the clouds is going to the printer - my first large image - comes out 36x16, to be printed on canvas.

03 BIG ROCK DSC_7458_stitch 10mb.jpg

Restitched it using MS ICE program, it did a better job than Zoner 18 did.
A little post production but not a lot.
Hopefully the printer will get it back in time for Christmas (takes three weeks so 'should be')