Post your Eclipse Photos from 2024-04-08

BF Hammer

Before we get the forum littered with everyone's eclipse photos, how about we get a thread for them all?

I have 2 to start with. However I only have begun going through my photos. I made mistakes, but I also did some stuff right. I was in Benton, Illinois for this one. Northeast of Carbondale.
2024-04-08_Eclipse_001.jpg
2024-04-08_Eclipse_002.jpg

We did notice something on the bottom of the moon/sun about half-way through totality with bare eyes. I thought it was just Bailey's Beads phenomenon. On further review when I got home, it was actual solar flares. And there were multiple to see. I had to call people who watched the TV coverage to find out if they noticed that on the broadcast.

Let's see yours, I will be putting up more this week.

Dawg Pics

I am breaking a forum rule here. I didn't bother to try to shoot a partial eclipse. I have been there, done that, but I did get this reflection on my kitchen floor.
IMG_4171.jpeg

SPV

Before we get the forum littered with everyone's eclipse photos, how about we get a thread for them all?

I have 2 to start with. However I only have begun going through my photos. I made mistakes, but I also did some stuff right. I was in Benton, Illinois for this one. Northeast of Carbondale.
View attachment 404037View attachment 404038

We did notice something on the bottom of the moon/sun about half-way through totality with bare eyes. I thought it was just Bailey's Beads phenomenon. On further review when I got home, it was actual solar flares. And there were multiple to see. I had to call people who watched the TV coverage to find out if they noticed that on the broadcast.

Let's see yours, I will be putting up more this week.
Nice shot

BF Hammer

Solar protuberances on the front-end of totality.
2024-04-08_Eclipse_003.jpg

Infrared partial. This was a D600 infrared conversion with Nikkor 500mm f/8 reflex lens. I had to hand-hold because I could not tilt-up on tripod and see where I aimed.
2024-04-08_Eclipse_004.jpg

However I was so dazzled by totality that I forgot to pick up this camera and try a couple of shots. It was a priority for me! Yes I ran a cleaning swab over the sensor prior to the trip.

More partials with Z5 and Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary.
2024-04-08_Eclipse_005.jpg

2024-04-08_Eclipse_006.jpg

2024-04-08_Eclipse_007.jpg

BF Hammer

I had technical issues during my session. I forgot to tighten down the manual adjusters on my star-tracker mount. This caused the mount to wander during the initial partial phase until I discovered the problem as I was removing the solar filter for the totality event. I had the intervalometer taking photos automatically, I never noticed the sun drifting up and partially off screen. So I believed my plan for the phase-series photo everybody makes was ruined. Calling up my meager GIMPing skills, I had to reconstruct 3 images to get a full solar disk on top. Did it by combining with a good photo. Then I put those images into my phase-series. I also don't want to be another guy putting the image together in the same old, boring line.

2024-04-08_Eclipse_011.jpg

Then I had my D750 in a separate wide-field setup. I thought about doing this with my 20mm lens, made a late choice to use 24-120mm f/4 lens instead. Set about 28mm, but first problem, I aimed poorly. Second problem, after removing the solar filter for totality, I was supposed to snap a few bracketed shots for the base image with total eclipse. Well, I forgot about taking those photos until the second totality ended. Again, using GIMPing skills I have overlaid a total eclipse image and resized smaller, but not to scale. The partial images are all correct.

2024-04-08_Eclipse_012.jpg

And this one where I tried combining 2 photos for a better contrast on the overexposed lunar disk.

2024-04-08_Eclipse_010.jpg

BF Hammer

Some more tonight. I might be done now. This first one is a composite. I enhanced an earlier image posted here and pasted the moon and solar prominences from the 2nd photo here over it as an overlay blend.
2024-04-08_Eclipse_013.jpg

This is a single image and a lot of experimenting in the Local Contrast sliders.
2024-04-08_Eclipse_014.jpg

Another partial from the infrared camera and 45 year old 500mm reflex lens.
2024-04-08_Eclipse_015.jpg

:)