Post your church shots

Bolampau

In the abbey church of Tournus in Burgundy, an amazing “monster” capital. Early Romanesque sculptors used those to instill fear of sin into parishioners. I'm sure this one worked just fine —heck, it scared me as I was shooting it! :giggle:

Nikon Z7, Nikkor Z 50mm, ƒ/1.8 S lens. Gitzo tripod, Benro geared head. Single exposure, natural light.

View attachment 410030
Great photo, works well in B&W !

Bolampau

I recently went back to St. Botolph's Church in Boston, Lincolnshire referred to as "The Boston Stump". The church has one of the tallest medieval towers in the country, with a height of approximately 266 feet 9 inches (81.31m).
Boston Stump (1 of 2).jpg

Boston Stump (2 of 2).jpg

Nikon Z8, Z Nikkors 24-120mm & 14-30mm.
The interior shot is made up of three bracketed photos to cover the dynamic range.

Blue439

The top of the Gour Noir rock in Auvergne (central France) was a place where druidic ceremonies were conducted. Around Year 900, Benedictine monks searching for a locale to establish a priory, selected this place, both because it offered some degree of natural protection against assailants (those were the times of Norman invasions, coming up the Dordogne river), and because the region was still largely pagan and needed some significant reinforcement of the Christian faith.

It was seriously fortified, one of the important priories of the region, yet it was taken in 1379 during the Hundred Years War by French mercenaries paid by the English, and only retaken in 1391, whereupon all fortifications were destroyed, so that history would not repeat itself. Only the Saint Pantaleon chapel was left, with religious outbuildings. The chapel is all that is left today. It stands in silence in this place, heavy with memories of centuries and millenia gone by...

Nikon Z7, Nikkor Z 14–30mm, ƒ/4 S lens. Handheld.

51317548245_b264ff9472_o.jpg

Blue439

Thank you guys for your appreciation!

Here is the small and squat Saint Peter church of Extravache in the French Alps, a pre-Romanesque church built in the 900s. It is partly in ruin and is said to have succeeded another church which existed here since the 1st century and was built by disciples Élie and Milet. This is only tradition though, with no historical confirmation.

Nikon Z7, Micro-Nikkor Z MC 105mm, ƒ/2.8 S macro lens. Handheld.

51441152367_72c079eb5a_o.jpg