Post your church shots

Andy W

NIK_1331-1_stitch.jpg

pnomanikon

(NOTE: I posted this over on the D7200 thread but thought I would also share it here. Hope you don't mind.)

Here's a little change of pace. As organist/pianist at our church (Wesley United Methodist Church, Morgantown WV), I have days where I have several hours between rehearsals and meetings. Last week, I had a long break so I took my camera in and climbed up into the bell tower to photograph the 14 bells of the carillon bells.

Brief description: 14 Bells, One and a half octave, C thru G Added semitones (all original) are sharp 4th (F#) & flat 7th (Bb) in 1st octave. Expansion by Meeks, Watson & Co. included tuning of existing bells, new bellframe, and baton keyboard; provision for further expansion. Also an 1847 Meneely (West Troy) swinging bell. Bought and installed in 2003 as a memorial to Mary Jane English, wife of Dr Clyde English, who was the organist at the time and also the Professor of Organ at West Virginia University for over 30 years.

** CLICK FOR FULL SIZE IMAGES **

033sm.jpg
This is the keyboard. The cables you see run up appx 40-50 feet up into the bell tower. Each bell has its own cable tied to its respective note on the keyboard.

006sm.jpg
Climbing up the steps to the bottom of the ladder that leads to the first (lowest) level of the bell tower.

011sm.jpg
As you enter the bell tower, this stone reminds you of years past. This was apparently one of the minister's young sons at the time.

024sm.jpg
After reaching the lowest level in the bell tower, the next step is to climb an old wooden ladder (about 30 feet high) that leans precariously against an upper railing.
Meanwhile, the view out of the screened louvers to my left is traffic 50 feet below. This photo was taken with one hand on the camera and one on the ladder as it gently sways. LOL
The shiny rings inside the bells are from when they were tuned by trimming off material to raise the pitch.

017sm.jpg
Closer view of a couple of the larger bells. The largest bell is appx 3 feet in diameter and weighs appx 1,000 pounds. I bet that was fun to get those raised and installed.

029sm.jpg
Another view of some of the larger bells.

MtFestBikesWUMC (1)sm.jpg
Being old and senile, I forgot to take a new photo of the bell tower from outside, but here is an earlier one from my cell phone just for reference.

FWIW - No flash used. Not the most crystal clear photos because of one-handed shooting while balancing on an old ladder in a dark tower. Excuses, Excuses, LOL.