Post your Birds in Flight

wev

Contributor
Re: Bird in Flight

Lone goose came over, but just too darn far out for my poor lens

Goose.jpg

Technical question for all the bird in flight shooters. I know that I can shoot at 1/2000 sec and stop most birds but what is the slowest I can shoot and still stop most birds? I am going to be shooting with the D7100 with the 70-300 zoom.

Scott Murray

Technical question for all the bird in flight shooters. I know that I can shoot at 1/2000 sec and stop most birds but what is the slowest I can shoot and still stop most birds? I am going to be shooting with the D7100 with the 70-300 zoom.
I would say that so long as its not a humming bird you 'should' be able to shoot any where from 1/500sec (may have some wing blur). I normally shoot at 1/1000sec as you can see in my corella shot, but you can get some nice blurring if you go slower and are good at panning. But yeah start at 1/500sec and work your way up.

wev

Contributor

Nothing to brag about here, but the day is a dull gray and I was lucky to get these

Sparrow.jpg

Sparrow2.jpg

Mike D90

Depends on the size of the bird Don. Small birds move a lot and I have found that nothing under 1/1000th will stop their quick jerks and usually it takes 1/1250th. Large birds I have had success at 1/650th and up. That is using the 70-300mm VR lens as well.

The new 70-300 came in this morning so I went out and tried a few bird in flight photos with it. I still need some practice. Shoot some at 1/1000 and some at 1/1250. 1/1250 seems to do better.

d71_0965-frameshop.jpg
d71_0955-frameshop.jpg
d71_0941-frameshop.jpg
d71_0938-frameshop.jpg
d71_0966-frameshop.jpg
d71_0917.jpg

The new 70-300 came in this morning so I went out and tried a few bird in flight photos with it. I still need some practice. Shoot some at 1/1000 and some at 1/1250. 1/1250 seems to do better.

d71_0965-frameshop.jpg
d71_0955-frameshop.jpg
d71_0941-frameshop.jpg
d71_0938-frameshop.jpg
d71_0966-frameshop.jpg

RON_RIP

I think you have nailed it Don. The quicker shutter speed really seems to make a difference. so can I have my hammer back.

I think you have nailed it Don. The quicker shutter speed really seems to make a difference. so can I have my hammer back.

I was shooting at F7.1 and focus was a little tight on many of them shot at 300mm. I may try F8 the next time. Also it is hard to track a bird full frame at 300mm.

wev

Contributor

---Quote (Originally by wev)--- Nothing to brag about here, but the day is a dull gray and I was lucky to get these ---End Quote--- ---Quote (Originally by wev)--- Our rufous getting breakfast ---End Quote--- But you did not answer the question. no photos, just technical

Apparently you deleted the quote post, but I had not even seen your question before posting my two. The first was at 1/1250, but the light was lousy, I don't pan well, and my 5200/55-200 is slow to focus. The second was at 1/400 in deep shade, with considerable post work. Perhaps I will win a lottery some day and be able to match a camera and glass to my striving.

Last edited:

Mike D90

d71_0917.jpg

Bombs away was my thought too! Man you have done a great job here! What did you do to get your water to look that nice and dark? Mine seems to always look a little off color.