wev

Contributor
Re: Bird in Flight

Crow coming for a landing in the magnolia

Crow4.jpg

wev

Contributor

Thanks. Across the street, about 30 feet over and maybe 15 up, so about 35 on the diagonal

weebee

Thanks. Across the street, about 30 feet over and maybe 15 up, so about 35 on the diagonal

Good picture. I have the hardest time with them. They spook easily and I get the contrast way off. What were your settings?

wev

Contributor

Good picture. I have the hardest time with them. They spook easily and I get the contrast way off. What were your settings?

I haven't had much luck either, unless they are on the ground distracted by the remains of somebody's burger and fries. In the sky, they sort of absorb light and turn into flying silhouettes. This time, I had strong sun coming through the wings, so the color was pretty nice.

1/320, f9, ISO 110, 200mm

wev

Contributor

Our hawk has been swooping all over today, but I always seem shooting into the sun, so this was a lucky shot

Hawk4.jpg

wev

Contributor

Thanks guys. He's taken up residence in one of the big eucy's, so I'll have to get used to weeding and pruning in the nursery wearing my camera.

wev

Contributor

Despite the iffy light, I managed a few okay shots of the sooty gnat catcher going about getting breakfast

Sooty.jpg

Sooty2.jpg

Sooty4.jpg

pictaker64

actually they resemble wild turkeys,hence the name...they also go by turkey vulture,but they are really buzzards,they do hang with grey headed vultures here in new jersey,so the names get mixed alot

Strange name, I guess someone shot the first one at Christmas?