Post Your Birds (3)

wev

Contributor
Hummer22.jpg

Robin W

You won't find this fellow at your backyard feeder and you will only find him towards evening. This is a Chuck Willis Widow and he is a night bird and uses his excellent camouflage to keep you and predators from seeing him anytime. He has a very loud distinct call which allows him to find others of his kind. For more info go here.

RD5_2195-Chuck Willis Widow.jpg

RD5_2229-Chuck Willis Widow.jpg

Robin W

I was caught without my tripod when a Pileated Woodpecker flew up about 15 feet from where I was stationed. Mind you he did not have a graceful landing. He landed on the wire and then proceeded to flail about until he was able to get on top of the wire and onto the post, he then made it up to the top of the post after climbing through the Virginia Creeper and peeked over the top as if to see if anyone had seen his flailings. Then he looked straight at me and seemed to say "drats you saw me". He got over it quickly and went to the post adjacent to this one and dug into his breakfast of ants. He never seemed to mind my presence. These photos were not cropped that is how close he came to me.
View attachment RD5_2357-Pileated Woodpecker.jpg

View attachment RD5_2359-Pileated Woodpecker.jpg