Status
Not open for further replies.

wtlwdwgn

GBH but no fish. :rolleyes:
GBH%209A-035518-XL.jpg

gustafson

Went duck hunting with my new D7100

Used the Nikkor 200-500 and my Kenko 1.4

So how does that work again - 500 x 1.4 = 700mm x 1.5 = 1050mm?

I need a bit more practice with this camera - my 'keeper rate' today with the D7100 was way down from what I get with my D610 with same lens and TC. Hmmm?

I also noticed that even when I crop into the bird, many of my shots exceeded the 10 MB size limit for upload here - that seldom happens with my D610.

View attachment 226530View attachment 226531

Your focal length calc looks correct, and is what you would use for the reciprocal rule for min shutter speed if shooting handheld, i.e. 1/1050s. You might try even faster shutter speeds than that if you find you're losing shots due to camera shake shooting handheld.

As for the other question about file size, not sure of the answer. I'd presume you're having to crop less with the D7100, hence larger files than the D610 for similar shooting distances. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortkentdad

Got me a Grouse today - in my backyard - up in a spruce tree - how do you get your grouses?

DSC_1066 -2.jpgRuffled Grouse 3 views DSC_1073 -3.jpg

I quickly grabbed the nearest camera - the D7100 - with the Nikkor AFS 55-300 and a Kenko 1.4 attached. First shot taken with the T.C.
I was in the deep shade of the spruce and quickly took off the T.C. and began moving closer - and reducing the focal distance as I went. The composite picture was taken at 55mm and I was much closer to the bird - it then flew away. No, I did not get any BIF's of it leaving.

Last edited:
Thanks Don, I'm trying something new in PP. I do all my usual things in Lightroom then go to Niks Color Efex Pro 4 and then Dfine 2. I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Try the Vevisa 2 in Nik to add structure. Not to much but just a little. You can also use "Add Control Point" to an area to change brightness contrast etc. on just one little section which is a great way to fine tune a shot. another thing is to add a control point to the background that is to sharp and lower the Structure to really make a subject pop.

Kevin H

Got me a Grouse today - in my backyard - up in a spruce tree - how do you get your grouses?

View attachment 226968View attachment 226969

I quickly grabbed the nearest camera - the D7100 - with the Nikkor AFS 55-300 and a Kenko 1.4 attached. First shot taken with the T.C.
I was in the deep shade of the spruce and quickly took off the T.C. and began moving closer - and reducing the focal distance as I went. The composite picture was taken at 55mm and I was much closer to the bird - it then flew away. No, I did not get any BIF's of it leaving.

12 Ga. works good for getting them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.