Post Your Automotive Shots!

Koolaid

ae86 gts trueno
tumblr_lsmmm7K5iK1qmt93fo1_500.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Now that I look at this shot again, it looks too dark to me...

DSC_0556.jpg

taken during a philly autocross event

ISO125
Exposure1/60 sec
Aperture18.0
Focal Length200mm

Will V|Photography

Yeah, solid pan! I really like those Seven replicas, almost to the point of saving up and building one myself with a liter-bike motor. The only thing I'd say is dark is the wheels but they're black anyway. Maybe a light dodge on them would lighten up the whole shot? I dunno, just a thought. I need to make it out to the next auto-x out here and work on my panning. I was getting 1 clear shot out of 6 at the drag strip...

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Thanks guys! Will, yeah those things are neat. Take a look at the exif I just posted. I had to experiment with that a lot. I was also using a 1 stop nd filter to lower the shutter speed.

Will V|Photography

Thanks guys! Will, yeah those things are neat. Take a look at the exif I just posted. I had to experiment with that a lot. I was also using a 1 stop nd filter to lower the shutter speed.

That's the first I've heard of someone using an ND to slow down the shutter for panning shots. Was it high-Noon and really bright? I've been using a lot of tips from Car Photography Tutorials - AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY MADE EASY to step up my auto shooting skills. There is also a really good thread on NASIOC but I have to dig up the link. Anyway, you can get a real nice pan at like 1/250 or 1/160. The rules for rolling shots say shutter speed should match car speed (both cars going 60mph, 1/60 shutter) but you can get away with a slightly faster shutter if you're panning.

Case in point:

1/160

DSC_2206-1.jpg

1/100

DSC_2215-3.jpg

Both of those were taken as light started to fade and a slower shutter would be beneficial. Try a faster shutter next time you're out and see how it works for you.

Oh, and those shots are from my coverage of FixxFest8 for Solo Auto Mag: FixxFest 2011 : Solo

The rest of the shots from that show are on my Flickr as well.

Will V|Photography

Nice! I do have a couple criticisms if you don't mind. 1) Polarize. Polarize multiple times if you have to and mask in PS to kill all those crazy reflections. 2) With a truck like this you want to shoot it anywhere else but pavement. 3)I can't tell but did you throw some fake blur in there? I don't know, I'm still drunk from last night I think... Nice truck and nice shots though.

Ranie

Nice! I do have a couple criticisms if you don't mind. 1) Polarize. Polarize multiple times if you have to and mask in PS to kill all those crazy reflections. 2) With a truck like this you want to shoot it anywhere else but pavement. 3)I can't tell but did you throw some fake blur in there? I don't know, I'm still drunk from last night I think... Nice truck and nice shots though.

Thanks for your inputs
this was just an impromptu shoot.
The only fake blur was on the license plate
Actually, I darkened the sides a bit