Post Processing for Z9

jacklewis014

I just received my Z9. I use Lightroom for post processing. The images were not to my liking. At 4000 ISO there was way too much noise. My D4 is so much cleaner. It appears that Lightroom is not ready to handle Z9 NEF images. Is there a better editing application out there that is "tuned" to Z9 NEF formatted images?

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

I am sure someone will be along to help you out with your Z9.

Woodyg3

Contributor
The D 4 is well known as a great low light camera, so it's not surprising the your Z9 files are noisier. To handle noise, I suggest using Topaz DeNoise as a plug in in Lightroom. It works wonders. Welcome to Nikonites.

Clovishound

Well, I can't help the OP, but want to thank everyone for the discussion of noise reduction. I normally shoot at lower ASA settings, and don't often have noise issues. I shot some early morning wildlife pictures yesterday and some of them were noisy. I had completely forgotten about the noise reduction feature in LR. I was able to improve several of them. Just when you think you have a handle on a process you discover something new or forgotten.

Thanks.

Before:

_DAB4066.jpg

After:

_DAB4066-2.jpg

blackstar

Welcome, new member and new z owner here jacklewise. We have another z9 owner here: canuck, maybe he can chime in for the matter.

canuck257

I use Photolab Elite by DxO. I started with the first release (1) and am now on 6. Over the years I have always been delighted with the end results especially the Prime
IAH_0109DxO6.jpg
noise software which is, in all my trials, superior to any other product on the market including Topaz. I emphasise that these are my personal findings. So far it has rendered the Z9 files extremely well though I have only fired of about 20 shots and nothing at very high ISO. This shot is ISO 900, no crop. FTZ II, 500PF.

Needa

Challenge Team
Well, I can't help the OP, but want to thank everyone for the discussion of noise reduction. I normally shoot at lower ASA settings, and don't often have noise issues. I shot some early morning wildlife pictures yesterday and some of them were noisy. I had completely forgotten about the noise reduction feature in LR. I was able to improve several of them. Just when you think you have a handle on a process you discover something new or forgotten.
Curious is there away to apply a lesser amount of denoise to the birds than the background?

Fred Kingston

Yes...Using Lightroom and masking. First step is to Turn OFF any/all Noise reduction using the Noise/Sharpening panel... Second step is, using the Masking tools to select the areas of the image you want to apply noise reduction...then use the "noise" slider in the Mask over-lay to Reduce the noise...

Clovishound

Needa, I edited that photo using masking to control two different areas get noise reduction individually. I choose object mask and painted the two spoonbills. This clearly identified the two birds. I find subject mask often includes extraneous items. I then clicked on more options for this mask and choose duplicate and invert mask to create a new mask that included only the background. I then used the sliders to choose the amount of noise reduction I wanted for each of the masks.

Here is the result. OK, after posting it, I discovered that there is less noise reduction in the background of this version. I found that the noise reduction in a mask does not go as far as the reduction when editing the entire photo.

_DAB4066-3.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
Needa, I edited that photo using masking to control two different areas get noise reduction individually. I choose object mask and painted the two spoonbills. This clearly identified the two birds. I find subject mask often includes extraneous items. I then clicked on more options for this mask and choose duplicate and invert mask to create a new mask that included only the background. I then used the sliders to choose the amount of noise reduction I wanted for each of the masks.

Here is the result. OK, after posting it, I discovered that there is less noise reduction in the background of this version. I found that the noise reduction in a mask does not go as far as the reduction when editing the entire photo.

View attachment 387225
I like the noise reduction on the birds here better, the edges of the feathers are better defined.

Peter7100

As with all these processing programs, just ensure your pc meets the minimum requirements before purchasing, although there may still be free trials available.