Please Help me build a Studio Setup

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That looks like a pretty cool setup Glenn :)

Thanks. The portable battery that Steve mentioned is under the 22 inch beauty dish. The beauty dish comes with that soft white diffuser. The Vagabond mini is also available in 220 VAC. The reason why I like the Einstein is because it operates from 95VAC to 240 VAC. Here in Japan, the voltage is only 100VAC which is not an issue with the strobes.

Alternate and also suitable strobes that you might want to consider are Elinchrome. They have a distributor in India.

ELINCHROM - Distributors

WhiteLight

Similar setup to my square deal kit. Bag and all, but a bit less $ :)

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Have seen a couple of those on eBay..
Are they as sturdy (or close) to the Manfrotto?
That's a LOT of price difference between the two

Wow.. that's like super cool..
But any thoughts about the quality? Would they last me & serve all purposes for say 5 years?

Ijustwant1

Have seen a couple of those on eBay.. Are they as sturdy (or close) to the Manfrotto? That's a LOT of price difference between the two Wow.. that's like super cool.. But any thoughts about the quality? Would they last me & serve all purposes for say 5 years?
Yes looks good and at that price I am thinking as a kick starter then buy better gear later !

carguy

Have seen a couple of those on eBay..
Are they as sturdy (or close) to the Manfrotto?
That's a LOT of price difference between the two
Its a sturdy system. I'd expect the manfrotto setup to be better, but I haven't seen it. The square deal setup I have is plenty for someone like me looking to get started.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

WhiteLight

This kit is not available except on the USA site...

The Genius

2 Einstein™ E640 Flash Units
2 LS3900 13-foot Heavy Duty Light Stands
2 PLM64U-S 64-inch Extreme Silver PLM™ Umbrellas with Buff Speedring
2 PLM64-WFDF 64-inch White Front Diffusion Fabrics
1 CC CyberSync™ Cyber Commander™
2 CSXCV CyberSync™ Transceivers
2 PCBBAG Paul C. Buff™ Single Light Carrying Bags

for $1500

seems like everything is available & is double the cost of the elinchrom..
but this may work for me for the rest of my life

WayneF

What are your opinions on these?
How would they stack up against Einsteins/Alien Bees?

ELINCHROM - D-Lite-it 4

ELINCHROM - BXRi 250

They are definitely a mainstream choice.

The Alienbees were my own choice, but they would be a bad choice for India. If no other reason, they run only on 120 VAC. The Einsteins run on 120 or 240 VAC, but they would be a long way from home. So would Elinchromes too, but you might have local distributors.

The Einsteins are a different class altogether, than either Alienbees or Elinchrome.

Otherwise, you can read a jillion opinions at
alienbees einchrome d-lite - Google Search

Always some misinformation on the internet of course, but the consensus is normally right.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteLight

They are definitely a mainstream choice.

The Alienbees were my own choice, but they would be a bad choice for India. If no other reason, they run only on 120 VAC. The Einsteins run on 120 or 240 VAC, but they would be a long way from home. So would Elinchromes too, but you might have local distributors.

The Einsteins are a different class altogether, than either Alienbees or Elinchrome.

Otherwise, you can read a jillion opinions at
alienbees elinchrome d-lite - Google Search

Always some misinformation on the internet of course, but the consensus is normally right.

Thanks again Wayne...
The Einsteins seem to be impossible to get here directly.. no distributors..
will have to buy from the European or the Australian site.. which already are priced higher than the US site.
Add shipping it's almost double the cost :(

B&H ships Elinchrom to India (at the regular shipping costs), but now am not sure which strobe would be the best buy..

WayneF

B&H ships Elinchrom to India (at the regular shipping costs), but now am not sure which strobe would be the best buy..

Many people use and like the Elinchromes, which is an extremely big name brand. Very mainstream. You would be happy with it.

In the USA, Paul Buff has more than half of the total market, with excellent features for low price for one thing, but which is NOT the case elsewhere, like Europe, Australia, and no doubt India. I don't know who would lead elsewhere, but I had to bet unseen, it would be on Elinchrome. I can't imagine who else it would be.

Don't you have photo stores there that sell this stuff?

WhiteLight

Doesn't seem like it..
The Elinchrom homepage shows just one distributor in Mumbai.

ZERO for Paul C Buff...
am guessing they market & retail their own products..

There may be other distributors, but none have any online presence.

:grief:

WayneF

OK, I'm sorry that I don't understand. I would have thought there were of course photographers there, many studio portrait studios which need lights like this, and assumed there must be shops which supported them.