"Playback is not currently available" and live view not working

AnnaLisa

Hi!
I bought a Nikon D3200 in early May this year and have been using it without problem since, until today. My camera is showing me two error messages: "cannot start live view at current settings or under current conditions" and "playback is not currently available".

I recently lost my USB cord to transfer my photos from the camera to here. So I bought a cord in a store which had several. The cord did not work, and I think that it shut down the computer (I have no idea really, but when I had plugged it in and turned the camera off, the computer shut down?). I am afraid it has done something to my camera?

I have tried another SD card and it did not work.
I have read around online that a problem is that WU-1a is still connected? But I don't own that and have never used it either.
I have tried to reset the camera, and I think I managed to do so? (through the menu, following the guidebook)
When I first turned the camera on and discovered this fault, it had been off for over 12 hours, so it should not be overheated?

I don't know what to do! I am such a newbie with cameras!
I am sorry if my message is messy and I have forgotten something? I am very much a newbie!
Thank you! :strawberry:

Newstech

I've seen a couple folks who had this problem who said they had to have the main circuit board replaced. I wonder if the heat sensor is incorrectly reporting a problem.

Have you tried removing the battery for several minutes?

Nikon should be flogged for having so many different proprietary USB cables. Most other makers manage to make a mini or micro do the job. Was it a Nikon cable you were using? The D3200 comes with a UC-E17. You might try connecting the camera to a PC with the proper cable then doing a "safe removal," just in case the USB status is messed up.

Good luck.

Newstech

Someone elsewhere suggested turning the camera off, setting Manual mode, then turning it back on and trying the Live View button.

weebee

Is your battery fully charged? I never use the cables to transfer pics. I just put the sd card in the computer.

Last edited:

AnnaLisa

Hi!
Thank you for all of your replies and sorry for being so slow at replying.

Newstech - I have tried taking the battery out, it hasn't been in for two days now and it's still not working. And no, it was sadly not a Nikon cable as I lost mine and as I couldn't find anyone who sold them, I decided to buy something else instead. I also tried switching it off, setting it in Manual mode and turn it back on, but it didn't work.

weebee - I tried fully charging my battery again, but it did not help.

I have transferred pictures before with the cord, it worked very well then, so I am guessing that it is this new cord that did something bad.
I guess I will have to try and get a real cable or go back to the store with it and ask them if they can help me.
Thank you both for your help any way! :)

Susan Batho

I have an original cord that I used for the transfer when I also got a message on my computer saying there was something wrong with the card and offering to fix it. I removed the card from the computer in case it was a computer card reader glitch and used the cord. Could not read the last dozen photos I have taken on the camera. Now I have put SD Card 2 into slot 1 and gotten a new SD card for slot 2 --- a much lower gig card as back up. And I am getting the no playback on this setting. The option to format the new card is greyed out. And I can't use the old card in case that was the problem.
Did you get it working?

AnnaLisa

Hi!
I did get it fixed, by turning it into the Nikon repair shop. The note I got back only said that there was some electrical issue? It was covered by my insurance.

I hope you'll be able to get help! :)

braddaddy

Unplugged my WU-1A and then it was fine. Never had a problem before with it plugged in (not on or in use)....but it is causing an argument today.

Bikerbrent

Glad you got it fixed AnnaLisa.

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

AbbyTech

Hi!
I did get it fixed, by turning it into the Nikon repair shop. The note I got back only said that there was some electrical issue? It was covered by my insurance.

I hope you'll be able to get help! :)
Can I have the contacts of the store if it still exist.
Check me on WhatsApp +255739399399

BF Hammer

AbbyTech, the original post author was describing what is apparently the camera having a function activated that disables the LiveView.

Try rotating the function mode dial to M or maybe on AUTO. If the camera allows you to enter the setup menu, start looking for the reset to factory defaults options. This should put the camera back to the state it should be in coming out of the box originally. A quick google search for the message even reveals somebody caused this problem by activating the infrared remote control mode. Turning off fixed. This is why I am suggesting the factory default reset. It could be a similar non-compatible mode is turned on and your are unaware of the cryptic icon that should be tipping you off to the problem.

BF Hammer

And 1 more thought. Try pushing the shutter release button.

On at least 5 times when I have been out at night in the cold doing astrophotography I had the battery die as I was taking a long-exposure. With both my D7000 and D750 the mirror and shutter would stay up and a F000 error comes up after swapping battery. I keep forgetting about this working in cold and dark, but all I had to do is push the shutter release to put it all right again. Of course I never remember until I pack up and go home and get warm again.