Photos from my new D7100 - Very exciting!!

Rob Bye

... Secondly is there a D7200 near release as I might be better off waiting.

There's a big trade show coming up this weekend, in Japan (CP+ from 02/12 - 02/15). Several new product are expected to be announced there. If Nikon does have a D7100 replacement coming in the near future, we should know soon.

DMcL

The biggest difference, I think, between the two is going to be in the "Features" column, not so much in the "Image Quality" column. The D7100 has had the OLPF removed, which will give you sharper images and the D7100 has better dynamic range though, so those are two IQ-enhancing upgrades. Where you're really gaining ground is, in my opinion, in the features list which are things you may, or may not, care about.

Things like the built-in focus motor, the magnesium alloy body and the weather sealing for instance. Other more technical upgrades would be things like the additional focus points, more cross-type focus points, the better viewfinder; the larger, higher resolution rear LCD, the dual command wheels, top LCD and the dual card slots. One of the things I really like about the better bodies is you do a LOT less menu diving with them because of all the external controls.

So yes, it's a significant upgrade, I'd say... But I can't say if it's the right upgrade for *you* or not. My advice on that would be based on what you're doing with your photography now versus what you want to be doing with your photography both now and in the future. If you're actively seeking to get better at this, if you're a serious student of photography you'll probably love the extra flexibility the D7100 will give you. If you shoot very casually and/or infrequently then I think I'd have a harder time suggesting you upgrade; especially since you make it clear you don't exactly have the problem of "too much money" on your hands.

Have to say that is a great response, thank you.

Sharper images is definitely a big draw, as I like to print some of my stuff so the crisper the better. I am very keen to take my photography to the next level, fully appreciate that by buying a 'better' camera doesn't just necessarily mean you will get better results but I am more than willing to put the time and effort in and learn the extra features etc.

I love post processing so have it in my head that the D7100 captures more detail in RAW for me to play about with meaning the potential is there for better images?

DMcL

There's a big trade show coming up this weekend, in Japan (CP+ from 02/12 - 02/15). Several new product are expected to be announced there. If Nikon does have a D7100 replacement coming in the near future, we should know soon.

Interesting stuff Rob, thank you. This potentially opens up two avenues for me, wait and see if a new model is realised and what spec and price it is, but also that the D7100 may then come down in price. I am not sure if cameras tend to drop much in value? I have seen a D7100 & 18-105 VR lens online for £720. Over £200 cheaper than I have seen in some stores. I have researched the company name and can't find any catch or cause for concern, yet.

Horoscope Fish

Have to say that is a great response, thank you.

Sharper images is definitely a big draw, as I like to print some of my stuff so the crisper the better. I am very keen to take my photography to the next level, fully appreciate that by buying a 'better' camera doesn't just necessarily mean you will get better results but I am more than willing to put the time and effort in and learn the extra features etc.

I love post processing so have it in my head that the D7100 captures more detail in RAW for me to play about with meaning the potential is there for better images?
Based on this post I would say the D7100 is the way to go then.

The D7100's 24MP files will give you plenty of room to play with in post processing if you shot RAW. Be sure to edit in 16-bit mode to get the most out of your efforts. I've never understood why so many people open the data rich 14-bit RAW files their expensive DSLR produces only to butcher it into an 8-bit file for processing. I can only assume they don't know any better.

DMcL

Based on this post I would say the D7100 is the way to go then.

The D7100's 24MP files will give you plenty of room to play with in post processing if you shot RAW. Be sure to edit in 16-bit mode to get the most out of your efforts. I've never understood why so many people open the data rich 14-bit RAW files their expensive DSLR produces only to butcher it into an 8-bit file for processing. I can only assume they don't know any better.

I know I edit in 16 bit in PS CC but I actually just assumed LR would be the same. Do you know where I can check as I can't see it here? Much appreciated!

Horoscope Fish

I know I edit in 16 bit in PS CC but I actually just assumed LR would be the same. Do you know where I can check as I can't see it here? Much appreciated!
Easy peasy... Open a RAW file in ACR. Down at the bottom you'll see a hyperlink. Click on this hyperlink to open the "Workflow Options" dialog box. Select your color-space, bit-depth and whatever else you want from the drop down menus. Clicking "OK" saves these settings as the new default.
ACR Screenie.jpg

DMcL

Easy peasy... Open a RAW file in ACR. Down at the bottom you'll see a hyperlink. Click on this hyperlink to open the "Workflow Options" dialog box. Select your color-space, bit-depth and whatever else you want from the drop down menus. Clicking "OK" saves these settings as the new default.

Is there an option in Lightroom for making sure I edit in 16 bit? Google fails me!

Revet

Is there an option in Lightroom for making sure I edit in 16 bit? Google fails me!

I was checking that yesterday after reading the post above. It looks like you can only change what you are sending an editing program in the preferences section. That is all I could find so I would also be interested in a response to DMcL's question.

Now that I look at Horoscope Fish's post, that is for Lightroom. I assume ACR is Adobe Camera Raw. How do you open that in Lightroom?? I thought Lightroom has its own ACR that runs automatically.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I know by going to your Preferences menu, under the "External Editing" tab, there is a an option to export your files in 16-bit mode. What I can't confirm is that LR is opening your 14-bit RAW files in 16-bit mode to begin. Either way, I would set this option to 16-bit mode if I were a LR user.

If you open a RAW file in LR do you see anything at the top that says something like "DSC_12345.nef @ 14.5% (RGB/16*)" or something similar? I ask this because if you do, the number after the "/" mark indicates the bit depth of the file.

Revet

I know by going to your Preferences menu, under the "External Editing" tab, there is a an option to export your files in 16-bit mode. What I can't confirm is that LR is opening your 14-bit RAW files in 16-bit mode to begin. Either way, I would set this option to 16-bit mode if I were a LR user.

If you open a RAW file in LR do you see anything at the top that says something like "DSC_12345.nef @ 14.5% (RGB/16*)" or something similar? I ask this because if you do, the number after the "/" mark indicates the bit depth of the file.,,,,

I looked all through Lightroom and I can never get that kind of display showing what bit depth it is working with. I did find the following info on Google;

"To have this additional “editing headroom”, you have to capture a high bit-depth image, i.e. a raw file, and you have to enhance it as a high-bit depth file. It does no good to convert a raw file into 8 bit as you move into Photoshop to work it. While you are working in Lightroom or Camera Raw, your work on your raw file is in 16 bit (standardized to accomodate 12, 14 and 16). When you move a file from Lightroom or ACR to Photoshop, you need to ensure that the Photoshop file stays in 16 bit. In Lightroom, go to Edit or Lightroom>Preferences>External Editing, and set your PSD or TIFF preference to 16 bit. In ACR, click on the workflow options at the bottom of the screen and do the same." This is from Laura Shoe's Lightroom. I don't know who Laura is but she has numerous training videos and does training seminars to master Lightroom.

This seems to suggest that Lightroom is working at 16 bits automatically but you do need to make sure that you are sending a 16 bit file to an external editing program and to set the ACR settings correctly as you showed in your thread.

Horoscope Fish

I looked all through Lightroom and I can never get that kind of display showing what bit depth it is working with. I did find the following info on Google;

"To have this additional “editing headroom”, you have to capture a high bit-depth image, i.e. a raw file, and you have to enhance it as a high-bit depth file. It does no good to convert a raw file into 8 bit as you move into Photoshop to work it. While you are working in Lightroom or Camera Raw, your work on your raw file is in 16 bit (standardized to accomodate 12, 14 and 16). When you move a file from Lightroom or ACR to Photoshop, you need to ensure that the Photoshop file stays in 16 bit. In Lightroom, go to Edit or Lightroom>Preferences>External Editing, and set your PSD or TIFF preference to 16 bit. In ACR, click on the workflow options at the bottom of the screen and do the same." This is from Laura Shoe's Lightroom. I don't know who Laura is but she has numerous training videos and does training seminars to master Lightroom.

This seems to suggest that Lightroom is working at 16 bits automatically but you do need to make sure that you are sending a 16 bit file to an external editing program and to set the ACR settings correctly as you showed in your thread.
Thank you for posting that; it leaves no doubt in my mind LR is managing RAW files in 16-bit mode, which is good to hear, because that just makes sense.

Even though it's a simple fix, it still annoys me Camera RAW defaults to 8-bit mode. Really, Adobe? REALLY??