Peak Design Oval Split rings with plastic sleeves

Mark F

I haven't posted for a long time... nor have I logged in. I have been lurking though, hopefully that counts.
I am looking for the oval split rings with plastic sleeves that Peak Design used to include with their straps. I have reached out to them to see if they had any left over... nope.
Seems they work best on my camera with an l bracket installed and I like the plastic sleeve because they cover the ends of the split ring to protect to cord of the anchor.
If you have some, let me know.

489098.jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I too wondered what it looked like. Thanks for adding a picture. I've never seen anything like it but will keep my eyes open. Have you posted on the Fred Miranda forum, @Mark F? That has a really wide reach - much larger than we have here.

Mark F

I too wondered what it looked like. Thanks for adding a picture. I've never seen anything like it but will keep my eyes open. Have you posted on the Fred Miranda forum, @Mark F? That has a really wide reach - much larger than we have here.
Not a member over there, but I have looked. I do have this posted at Nikonians, but no response as of yet there either.
These oval split rings worked better, as far as I am concerned, with the peak design anchors. Nikon's triangle rings seem to tear up the anchor rope after a while. Up until recently, Peak design included these in every Slide and Slide Lite camera strap.

BF Hammer

I have only seen the bare split-oval rings. I stopped using them after my last D80 died and went in the trash. All the newer bodies I bought since have had the Nikon triangle split-rings with a plastic guard, and they don't really require the Peak Design rings to be installed. They were issued as an emergency customer service response after somebody famously posted about having a v3 anchor link failure after the stamped-metal strap mount sliced through the cord from repetitive sliding across it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Not a member over there, but I have looked. I do have this posted at Nikonians, but no response as of yet there either.
These oval split rings worked better, as far as I am concerned, with the peak design anchors. Nikon's triangle rings seem to tear up the anchor rope after a while. Up until recently, Peak design included these in every Slide and Slide Lite camera strap.
Maybe you already read this discussion about the same thing. It mentions similar oval split rings that are used for fishing - and that's the same type of thing I found when searching. Unfortunately nothing with the black plastic sleeve.

Mark F

Maybe you already read this discussion about the same thing. It mentions similar oval split rings that are used for fishing - and that's the same type of thing I found when searching. Unfortunately nothing with the black plastic sleeve.

Yeah... I really am looking for the plastic sleeves though. They keep the split ring from sliding around etc... look nicer... and cover the ends of the ring to protect the cord. I can get beefier split rings from a lure shop as well... but not the plastic sleeves. I thought about using some heavy heat shrink which I may end up doing, but as many anchors that peak design has sold over the years, I would assume that some have several of these laying around.

Mark F

I have only seen the bare split-oval rings. I stopped using them after my last D80 died and went in the trash. All the newer bodies I bought since have had the Nikon triangle split-rings with a plastic guard, and they don't really require the Peak Design rings to be installed. They were issued as an emergency customer service response after somebody famously posted about having a v3 anchor link failure after the stamped-metal strap mount sliced through the cord from repetitive sliding across it.
Peak Design had those in all of their anchor packs until V4 I think. Anyway, it was just recently that they stopped.

Mark F

Peak Design just reached out to me and said they have found a small stash of these in their San Francisco office. They are sending me some. :)
Now I can use their straps again with an L Bracket attached to camera. Problem was, with the L Bracket I have, 3 legged thing, the triangle split ring would twist and get bent when carrying the camera. These oval rings fixed that.

Patrick M

I found that the Peak Design anchors ‘string’ can be pushed through the Nikon loop so no need for the triangle or other additional loop

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Peak Design just reached out to me and said they have found a small stash of these in their San Francisco office. They are sending me some. :)
Now I can use their straps again with an L Bracket attached to camera. Problem was, with the L Bracket I have, 3 legged thing, the triangle split ring would twist and get bent when carrying the camera. These oval rings fixed that.
Glad to hear this is resolved! That's excellent customer service.

Mark F

I found that the Peak Design anchors ‘string’ can be pushed through the Nikon loop so no need for the triangle or other additional loop
That must have been the version of anchors that were thin. The version I have will not even attempt to go thru the ones on the Nikon Z6II, even with the help of a pull cord.

Last edited: