P950 Battery Charger MH-29 Discontinued!

StormCell

I just purchased the P950. I was dismayed to see you can only charge the battery in the camera. Then I read in the manual a reference to an optional charger. I couldn’t find this mythical beast anywhere and support just replied that it is discontinued. Why?! There are after market chargers but Nikon says anything not Nikon brand can void the warranty. Me waiting hours for a battery to charge isn’t feasible. Even with a backup battery, I need to be able to charge one on the fly while using the camera with another. Does this spell the beginning of the end for the cameras that use this battery? Thinking of just returning it at this point. I have another brand DSLR with lens assortment but due to an injury I can’t carry right now. I got the P950 to tie me over but the battery charging situation seems ridiculous. Does anyone have any insight as to why Nikon would do this?

StormCell

I couldn’t find it on Amazon Canada, just lots of after market chargers. It still begs the question as to why they would discontinue such an important item. I wonder if the cameras that take the batteries are next.

Bikerbrent

I just purchased the P950. I was dismayed to see you can only charge the battery in the camera. Then I read in the manual a reference to an optional charger. I couldn’t find this mythical beast anywhere and support just replied that it is discontinued. Why?! There are after market chargers but Nikon says anything not Nikon brand can void the warranty. Me waiting hours for a battery to charge isn’t feasible. Even with a backup battery, I need to be able to charge one on the fly while using the camera with another. Does this spell the beginning of the end for the cameras that use this battery? Thinking of just returning it at this point. I have another brand DSLR with lens assortment but due to an injury I can’t carry right now. I got the P950 to tie me over but the battery charging situation seems ridiculous. Does anyone have any insight as to why Nikon would do this?

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Fred Kingston

I couldn’t find it on Amazon Canada, just lots of after market chargers. It still begs the question as to why they would discontinue such an important item. I wonder if the cameras that take the batteries are next.
It looks like they combined a bunch of different version chargers because of the different (similar) batteries... I think you're getting over-excited about a non-issue... Nikon isn't making a lot of money...and they've been discontinuing items that don't sell for years along with other cost-cutting measures...

StormCell

For me it isn’t a non -issue if I can’t externally charge batteries without voiding the warranty on a 1 day old camera. Nikon support said no more chargers available and discontinued. It rather leaves a new Nikon owner dangling without a way to charge their batteries on the go. I am disappointed. So I either take a chance with a generic charger or return the camera and forget about Nikon superzooms. Because only being able to charge in the camera isn’t an option for me. An issue that is happening as well is that the light never went out. I had the camera on the charger for hours and still the light blinked. The manual states that the light goes out when fully charged. I disconnected and the battery read full when I turned the camera on. Is this a flaw? Does the light go out on other cameras when charging is completed as the manual states?

Woodyg3

Contributor
An after market charger will work just fine. There is virtually no chance a warrantee issue would come up from a changer.

Bikerbrent

I would agree with Fred Kington. return the camera. What are the odds that Nikon will not have the needed parts to repair it if you have a problem?