Other brands

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
A little shot from some shop windows that were reflecting the almost sunset. Fuji X-10
window in shop.jpg

dragion

I just purchased the Sony Nex-5T with E PZ 16-50mm OSS & E 55-210mm OSS combo kit @ Best Buy for under $700.
I also picked up the Sony E 20mm F2.8 for $160...last one @ Best Buy in the New England area for that clearance price!

Here is a couple of test shots:

E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

DSC00029 by dragioniii, on Flickr

E 20mm F2.8

DSC00032 by dragioniii, on Flickr

Any feedback will be appreciated! :)

dragion

Change of plans...

Returned the Sony NEX-5T and ordered the Sony NEX-6 instead...couldn't live without a dedicated viewfinder.
Attempted to purchase the Sony FDA-EV1S Electronic Viewfinder twice, but was outbid on eBay...don't want to pay the outrageous retail price of $350.
So, for under a $100 difference I gained the EVF, mode dial & built in flash...omitting the touch screen & NFC ability.

I should be receiving it today! :eek:

dragion

Angry & confused!

I received the Sony NEX-6 via UPS from Best Buy.
The issue I'm having is that the exterior box was previously opened to be inspected by UPS..."Contents Audited For Accuracy Sealed with Tamper Evident Tape" was on every seam.
Inside the OEM camera box was contained inside without any protective packaging material...camera box was loose.
Opening the camera box, I find the battery missing from it's contents with just the empty yellow plastic bag inside...camera was missing all the stickers and labels...as if they were removed...why?
The rest of the contents were there and untouched.
I find the battery "inside" the camera.
Turn power on...no power.
Fully charge the battery...and turn the camera on.
Goes directly to "ready" for shooting. Isn't it suppose to start with set up...clock, location...etc.?

I call Best Buy and spoke to CSR & also a Supervisor regarding this issue...nothing they can do but have me return the camera.
They no longer have anymore available for exchange.

I have yet to contact UPS regarding the reason for the package to be inspected...it's shipping destination was from within the USA.

So far, I have not experienced any issues with the NEX-6 and seems to operating properly.
I've try checking the shutter count at SONY Alpha shutter count tool and this is my results:

Detected Camera model : NEX-6
Shutter actuations made up to file DSC00113.JPG: 46
| | | | Sony_Tag9050_0x0032 = 46
| | | | Sony_Tag9050_0x0033 = 0
| | | | Sony_Tag9050_0x0034 = 0
(65536 * 0) + (256 * 0) + 46 = 46

The SD card has photos previously taken from the NEX-5T.
Is this information accurate?

I'm debating if I should keep it or send it back.

Any suggestion on what I should do?

Fred Kingston

That camera wasn't opened by UPS, and if it was, it was also a returned camera that Best Buy shipped out... the same as they'll do with the first camera you returned to them... You're only supposed to use Best Buy to touch/test stuff, and then buy it somewhere else... :eek:

dragion

That camera wasn't opened by UPS, and if it was, it was also a returned camera that Best Buy shipped out... the same as they'll do with the first camera you returned to them... You're only supposed to use Best Buy to touch/test stuff, and then buy it somewhere else... :eek:

Spoke to both UPS & Best Buy...
According to UPS, it wasn't tampered by them.
Best Buy says that the camera is no longer in their system and all purchases are directly from Sony...so it was shipped from Sony like this.
In other words, Sony sent me a "used" product! :mad:

After careful thinking, I've decided on returning the NEX-6 and purchasing the Sony A6000 instead.
At least this way I will be getting a brand new product and I won't get "screwed" over again.

I have no problem purchasing from Best Buy as long as the product & price is the same as everyone else.
Since I'm a Best Buy Elite Plus member, I will be getting 3X points for the camera & lens purchases with the ongoing promo.

I consider ordering from Amazon, but since they charge MA tax now it isn't worth it.

dragion

UPDATE:
NEX-6 returned...
Now a proud owner of the Sony Alpha 6000!

As for the "BS" that I have received from Best Buy...I now know that it was Best Buy that actually shipped me a "USED" NEX-6 and not SONY.
I guess that FredKingston was correct :encouragement:

After making the return/exchange, Best Buy ended up selling the NEX-6 as an OPEN BOX item for only $263.99.
I wanted to turn around and re-purchase it at that price! ;)

It was sold within 3 hours.

I'm glad that I'm finally satisfied with the A6000 and have been building up my collection of lenses...I just purchased a new condition SEL 30mm Macro f/3.5 off Craigslist today for $200.
A bit short for Macro, but very sharp lens...good for only still objects.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Little on the fly portrait I did with my small Fuji X-10. Backlit all the way, I had my girlfriend Line hold my white cycling jersey to bounce a bit of light. From the jpeg out of the camera:

DSCF3653.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
a few close-ups done with the X-10. Unfortunately, these may be the last I did with the camera. The zoom got stuck, just like that, it wouldn't move. So you say, not a problem as it still can take pictures. But, the zoom is also the camera's on-off switch... Bigger problem since now if I want to turn it off I have to remove the battery... No good. So it's gone to Fuji Canada for an estimate. If it's more than 300$, it will be my best looking paper weight.

Anyway, a few shots done before the "JAM".

DSCF3700-Modifier.jpg

DSCF3713-Modifier.jpg

Bill16

I love this shot! Awesome my friend! :D

a few close-ups done with the X-10. Unfortunately, these may be the last I did with the camera. The zoom got stuck, just like that, it wouldn't move. So you say, not a problem as it still can take pictures. But, the zoom is also the camera's on-off switch... Bigger problem since now if I want to turn it off I have to remove the battery... No good. So it's gone to Fuji Canada for an estimate. If it's more than 300$, it will be my best looking paper weight.

Anyway, a few shots done before the "JAM".

View attachment 91076

AC016

Going back to the question about the LCD in bright days, i have no issues with it on my X10. I would have thought by now, that people would have realized that mirrorless cameras DO come with viewfinders, be it EVF or OVF. In the case of the X10, it is a mere "tunnel". My XPro1 has a hybrid viewfinder, EVF and OVF. Because of parallax, the OVF can only be used between 18mm and 60mm focal lengths. The EVF is fine and they are getting better as the years go by - take a look at the X-T1 EVF.

AC016

I want to try the Leica to find out what the rave is all about.
It all depends on what your expectations are. If you are looking for superb IQ that is not beat by anything, then keep looking. If you want to shoot with a handcrafted, solid camera that has a name steeped in photographic lore, then you may enjoy it. It really is all about the name these days. Don't get me wrong, they are great cameras and take wonderful images, but even my X-Pro1 can out do them and it has been proven. But if you want a camera with a red dot on it, knock yourself out.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It all depends on what your expectations are. If you are looking for superb IQ that is not beat by anything, then keep looking. If you want to shoot with a handcrafted, solid camera that has a name steeped in photographic lore, then you may enjoy it. It really is all about the name these days. Don't get me wrong, they are great cameras and take wonderful images, but even my X-Pro1 can out do them and it has been proven. But if you want a camera with a red dot on it, knock yourself out.

Thanks for the info. Is your statement based on personal experience or from observation on what other people have posted? Just curious.

AC016

Thanks for the info. Is your statement based on personal experience or from observation on what other people have posted? Just curious.

Glenn, i have never picked one up before. However, having been in the world of Fuji for about a year now, you come to some realizations. One of those realizations, is the fact that many Fuji users are also Leica users or have used Leicas for many, many years. Therefore, i am getting information first hand. Some of these people have actually sold their Leicas after getting into Fuji or they have kept it for nostalgic reasons. Again, the cameras produce wonderful images, they are solidly built, feel good in the hand and are not bogged down with stuff you don't need. In addition, they are not exactly using the latest tech in their cameras either - take a look at the T 701. This does not necessarily matter of course; but when you are laying down 5 grand for a camera, you expect to have the latest. Anyhow, it will take photos just like any other camera and there are various models to choose from (M models being the most popular). In the end, you are paying a premium for the name and the fact that the cameras are "hand made". As i said above, it really is all about the name these days.