Opions thoughts wanted

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I found a local D7100 for $550. She is trying to get the shutter on for me right now but says it's very low less than 200 as a guess.
Also found another with 11014 clicks for $385.

I bought my D7100 refurbished directly from Nikon and never experienced any issues. I really need to put mine up for sale because it's been sitting here unused since April 2018. The last post I can find here is this one: https://nikonites.com/project-365-and-daily-photos/41133-hark-2018-a-2.html#post665816

The file number of that last image is DSC_3775 so I'm guessing my shutter count is less than 4000. If you are interested, let me know and I'll post some pics in the Marketplace and verify the shutter count. Seriously this body has very sharp images - and only had 39 shutter actuations when I bought it. Mostly used inside for theater photos. If you aren't interested, that's fine, too. I really need to put a couple things up for sale so maybe this will motivate me to do so.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I bought my D7100 refurbished directly from Nikon and never experienced any issues. I really need to put mine up for sale because it's been sitting here unused since April 2018. The last post I can find here is this one: https://nikonites.com/project-365-and-daily-photos/41133-hark-2018-a-2.html#post665816

The file number of that last image is DSC_3775 so I'm guessing my shutter count is less than 4000. If you are interested, let me know and I'll post some pics in the Marketplace and verify the shutter count. Seriously this body has very sharp images - and only had 39 shutter actuations when I bought it. Mostly used inside for theater photos. If you aren't interested, that's fine, too. I really need to put a couple things up for sale so maybe this will motivate me to do so.

And just so everyone knows, I am not going to circumvent the rules of this forum. I need to get this body out, check to see if it needs a sensor cleaning, charge the battery, and take some sample pics. Once I determine everything works as it should, I will post in the Marketplace and tag arshuter. There is a local flag event this weekend that I can use to take pics so at the earliest, it might be available next week. If arshuter isn't interested, then it will be open to anyone. But I need to make sure everything is in working order first then go thru the proper process here. ;)

arshuter

Sent you a PM.

carguy

I would like to hear everyones thoughts/opinions on weather it is a good idea to buy referbished equipment. I use a D5100 I bought used it has about 25,000 shutter count and have been thinking of up grading to a D5600. I was watching a you tube video the other day by Tony Northrup and in it he said he has no problem buying refurbished equipment so it got me wondering, is this a good way to save a few bucks or not? I don't plan on turning pro anytime soon but like everyone want good quality pics.
Thanks for the help.

Also how do these work as for shutter count etc. Does it start at zero or say under 100 count?
Much of my Nikon gear was purchased Nikon refurb or used. I wouldn't do it any other way :)

I just posted a few DX lenses for sale if you are interested :)

Advice from Tony is similar to Ken Rockwell LOL

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
@arshuter I am going to suggest you check out the other two options you had if they are still available. I'm going to be totally honest here. I need to call Nikon to find out about my shutter count. Apparently it is off by 495 from the file number sequence. I purchased it refurbished directly from Nikon's web site. Usually they never alter the shutter count.

I took photos with it today without any trouble, but I'm pretty annoyed to find out my shutter count doesn't match the file count. And of course I don't want to deceive anyone. When I first got the body, the files displayed as 001, 002, etc instead of the DSC_001. At some point I must have changed it to the file sequence number but never noticed the file numbers don't match the shutter count. The last file I took today is numbered DSC_4141 yet the shutter count says it is 3646. I went through older files and see that those too are off by 495.

The body works great, but under the circumstances, I need to find out from Nikon what they did before I purchased it. I'm so sorry! Please check around locally and see what other D7100 bodies you can find.