October 2016 Assignment... "OLD"

Needa

Challenge Team
Entry #2

so_denmark_rd.jpg

Built 1890

Grambo

con_0830-4.jpg

Once used in a local Post Office. Lightroom 5, Tried to make the photo look old to, may have went to far.

Last edited:

dh photography

Up the Creek and In the Dark

StarStaX_DAH_3795-2-DAH_3796_lighten-2.jpg

The pink granite rock formations exposed by
this ancient river, are as old as the Earth itself.

Nikon D7000 / Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
2 seven minute exposures
f/5 @ ISO 400
10/8/16 - 9:45 PM​

Last edited:

Philnz

Publication1.jpg
Model NIKON D7100
Shutter Speed 1/750 s
F-Number f/8
ISO ISO 250
Exposure Bias Value 0.00 eV
Metering Mode Pattern
Flash Off, Did not fire
Focal Length 16 mm
Lens Model 16-300 mm f/3.5-6.3
White Balance Details Auto2
Date/Time Original 4/10/2016 11:58:03 AM

Last edited:

Danno

con_0830-4.jpg

Once used in a local Post Office. Lightroom 5, Tried to make the photo look old to, may have went to far.

My grandmother had one of these when I was a kid. They were on a party line with four other farms. She had it placed low on the wall so she could sit in a chair and listen to the neighbors. Each had there own ring and all of them knew who was who. She would sit and listen with her hand over the mouth peace and keep up with all the gossip... hushing us kids or kicking us out of the house while she listened. Cool memory. Thanks.

Bob Blaylock

Second Entry:

As long as I can remember, my father had this tie clip, with this metal plate attached to it. Somewhere during my childhood, I got the idea that this was his name represented in some punchcard code.

After my father passed away near the end of 2008, this came into my possession. I looked at it, and realized that there were a lot more bits on it than it would take to represent his name. Curious about what this really was, I started doing some online searching for information about punchcards and punchcard codes.

What I ultimately learned is that this is not a punchcard code at all, but a part of a 1950s-vintage IBM 026 keypunch machine. The Wikipedia article on “keypunch” contained a picture of a plate just like this one, with the exact same bit pattern on it, and an explanation of it's function. It's basically, a crude form of a character-generator ROM, used to specify which pins should fire in a 5×7 matrix printhead to print any given character on the card, above the column punched to represent that character.

ZSC_1948n.jpg