Not sure I have what it takes

john*thomas

Take photos for you. Each of us have a dedication level and you must find your happy place. I will drive seven hours to sit up all night in the middle of the desert to shoot the Milky Way foregoing sleep, but that is me.

I'm going to guess that this is something you enjoy doing also. That IMO should be the main point for someone not doing this for a living. Learn while you are enjoying what you are doing.

Keep shooting, it's often times easier for the rest of us to see improvement in others than we can't see in our own work. And your pictures are always getting better.

I agree. I've enjoyed seeing his pics.

Mike D90

Lawrence, I am not taking away from the mad skillZ of the other members here but I do believe that most of the photos posted here, that blows our socks off, is a result of better post processing abilities than what some of us have. I think your learning curve might be more straightened out if you work harder at the post processing end of things as well. I have a bad habit myself of trying to get the shot perfect, and they way I want to see it, right out of camera and I am learning that, with digital cameras, that won't happen.

Browncoat

...but there are occasions when I think I have taken a great picture only to see someone else's on the same (similar) subject and think "bugger - if only"...

Ever heard the tale of Picasso's son? He would get all excited about an art project he did in school and rush home to show his dad...only to see the world's next modern art masterpiece drying on the easel. Moral of the story?

If you're measuring yourself by someone else's yardstick, you're almost always going to come up short.

There's no faster way to burnout and frustration than to compare yourself to others. We all aspire to be better, but growth takes time and a lot of practice. You know that they say, right? Your first 100,000 photos are always your worst.

Keep pulling the trigger and asking questions. That's all we can do.

:cool:

Eyelight

I hit a 5 iron out of the rough 200 yards that rolled up about two feet from the pin to par the hole. That's why I still play golf. Not because of the other 90+/- shots I took that day. :)

Alan

Lawrence, I just want to add my two cents here as well. I believe you, as well as myself and many others, can and will always be our own worst critic. I have been doing this on and off for over 50 years now. I studied photography in High School, studied it from a Correspondents School (for you youngins it was through the mail), and had a PT business doing weddings etc. With all that I know my limitations and live with them.

Not every great photographer is good at everything. My advise is simple. Pick something you really like to photograph and do it for 30 days, 60 days, you pick the time. I have done that a couple of time and find that it helps get the juices flowing. I spent the last year with a goal of photographing 100 different species of birds. I have accomplished the goal and find that the stuff I shoot now is better than what I did a year ago. (I also know more about birds than I ever really wanted to.) That being said I still delete about 80% of my shots and see other photographers that I envy. Last week I spent 2 hours at one of the lakes I like to go to and deleted everything I took, but I will be back again within the next week or so.

Not to ramble on but my daughter shoots circles around me when it comes to portrait and family photography. I know the technical behind it but she has a way with the people she shoots that I will never have. So I surrender, that's her thing and Daddy has to say Uncle. Doesn't keep me from showing her up with my bird Shots :)

Hang in there. Find your niche and be good at it. You have had some great shots and will continue to have them. Do it for the fun.

(again just humble opinion)

Eyelight

I hit a 5 iron out of the rough 200 yards that rolled up about two feet from the pin to par the hole. That's why I still play golf. Not because of the other 90+/- shots I took that day. :)

Thought maybe I should elaborate for the non-golfing photographer.

Little preface. The three shots before that one were all trying to do it all in one shot with the wrong club and with the wrong attitude, leaving myself laying 3, 5 feet off the fairway and 200 yards from the pin. I had to stop and ask myself what I was trying to do. Answer is the same for photography and that was make my best shot (not score lower than the other two golfers). Then reached for the longest club that I knew I could hit with from where the "bugger" was laying and said, "Okay boys, this is how it's done."

The real change between the first three shots and the fourth was attitude and then confidence gained from a few seconds of better planning. There are many other shots made on golf courses every day that could be considered better than that shot, but they cannot be compared, because all those other shots are not part of my game.

Alan

Just saw this on my Twitter feed...

"Success is achieved by development of our strengths, not by elimination of our weakness." - Marilyn Vos Savant

Develop your strengths
:cool:

Dave_W

The Dude
PS - I'm typing this while sitting in an open field on the north side of the Yellowstone river watching an Osprey nest. 1 hr already gone and no sign yet of daddy Osprey

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mike D90

PS - I'm typing this while sitting in an open field on the north side of the Yellowstone river watching an Osprey nest. 1 hr already gone and no sign yet of daddy Osprey

Total suckage.

I am sitting here at my laptop, inside the house, with AC running, too hot to go outside and mosquitoes looking for blood.

Dave_W

The Dude
Total suckage.

I am sitting here at my laptop, inside the house, with AC running, too hot to go outside and mosquitoes looking for blood.

Would it help if I told you it's kinda chilly and I have to wear a sweatshirt? :)

Mike D90

Would it help if I told you it's kinda chilly and I have to wear a sweatshirt? :)

Double suckage :(

We went from open windows, and using some heat at night, to using AC and sweating our arses off nearly over night.

Lawrence

Thought maybe I should elaborate for the non-golfing photographer.

Little preface. The three shots before that one were all trying to do it all in one shot with the wrong club and with the wrong attitude, leaving myself laying 3, 5 feet off the fairway and 200 yards from the pin. I had to stop and ask myself what I was trying to do. Answer is the same for photography and that was make my best shot (not score lower than the other two golfers). Then reached for the longest club that I knew I could hit with from where the "bugger" was laying and said, "Okay boys, this is how it's done."

The real change between the first three shots and the fourth was attitude and then confidence gained from a few seconds of better planning. There are many other shots made on golf courses every day that could be considered better than that shot, but they cannot be compared, because all those other shots are not part of my game.

LOL I'm with you all the way on the golf @Eyelight - played that game for years and even got a coaching diploma. Wrote a couple of books 2 years ago on the short game which I believe is far more important than your (impressive) long iron shots :D Here's a link to them ww.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Lawrence+Bredenkamp
Only available in Kindle and my author mates keep telling me to get them into print.

Thanks for all the replies on here and it is good to hear:
That we all go through the same thing
That this is part of a fun journey and, like golf, perfection is not attainable but definitely worth striving for
That my photography has improved :tickled_pink:

Now to find out what I like to shoot - I am seriously hoping the Milky Way is not my thing!

dukatum

When learning a new skill you will go through four stages:

1) Unaware you can not do it. (Buy a camera and showing your friends the amazing shots you made of a wet leaf on the a park bench, thinking it'll rock their socks off with your artistic perception)
2) Aware you can not do it (Comparing your shots over the last 2 months to others and realising you suck bad my friend)
3) Aware how to do it (You've learn tricks and rules, and now produce photos conforming to them but it requires you to really think hard and analyse when shooting now, you're slow but aware of what to do)
4) Unaware that you are doing it. (Your mind does all the work for you subconsciously without you even putting thought into it. Putting a camera to your eye is like putting food in your mouth, the next step is natural)

I'm bouncing between points 2 and 3 right now and expect to do so for a fairly long time yet.

Don't be fooled, it is not about time, it's about effort. Some people own a camera for 10 years but never learn anything after their first 6 months because they didn't seek to progress.
Only you can put in the effort, and switch on your brain to ask questions..... what if I did this....... and tested it! There are so many books out there to read and learn from, and there are so many things out there to shoot and practice with.
The only thing stopping you, is you!

Deezey

Lawrence........oh Lawrence........

Dood....really? We can all see you are striving for greatness. Heck buddy, your photography has evolved at a phenomenal pace for someone afraid of not "getting it". Or not being good enough. You have been putting up some fantastic work. You deserve to pat yourself on the back for the hard work you have already put it.

Don't waste your time comparing your shots to a fellow photographer. That was their vision. Not yours. Why be like them? Be yourself. If the shot made ya happy, well then don't let someone else's shot take that away from you. If ya see, hey I could have made this more interesting, file it away and then approach your next shot a little slower. Try and see your last shot in the shot you are about to take.

Don't focus on the pressure of getting "the" shot. Because honestly it doesn't exist. Perfection is unattainable. It is also boring. Really boring. Some of my best shots.....have been my biggest mistakes. Or have come about because I didn't know you shouldn't do it that way. Pfffft. This is all about self expression.

Keep clicking buddy. Before long, you will realize, you've had it all along.

aroy

Every one has what it takes. It is a question of whether you want to or not.

With me, photography has been an on-off thing. Started fifty years ago (I am 63) with my father's Russian range finder. We used to shoot and develop B&W at home. Had a portable enlarger then. Stopped after four years. Took up photography after 10 years with a second hand Russian Zenit. Upgraded to a Zenit "Photosniper" which came with a 300mm F4.5 lense and a gun grip. The camera gave up after five years. Photography stopped. After nearly 10 years started again with Cell phone. Still shoot with it (from VGA to 3MP to 5MP now). My son got a D70, used it for a while. Then a D300 used it sparingly, as the 5MP cell phone sufficed. Now in the last few months using D3300. As I have plenty of time to spare, I am shooting away at an average of 100 shots/day (varies from 5 to 300). If I get busy again, then may be the DSLR will have a rest, and cell phone take over. The camera may differ, but taking photographs has become a part of my life.

Once you are hooked to photography it is always there with you, and with time you will find what you like best and excel in it.

SkvLTD

The learning curve I have been on since buying my camera and joining this group has been phenomenal but it seems the more I learn the more I need to learn.
I think my photography has improved a little bit but when I look at some of the photos on here and elsewhere I am not sure I have the dedication required to reach great heights.

Seriously … out all night in the hope of catching a good star shot or brilliant sunrise? :eek-new:

I take my hat off to these folks and hope one day to attain this same desire and striving for great shots - but in the meanwhile I salute you one and all. :applouse:

However before even striving for such perfection I need to learn a lot more about basic photography so please excuse me as I return to my "studies" ...

Not quite sure what you're trying to go for, but that 5100 will NOT cut after a certain point. Sure, it can take some awesome shots when squeezed to its limits, in perfect lighting, on a tripod, but it's still no 7000 if you know what I mean. Just keep on keeping on and save up to move to FX. That's when you'll really start breathing photography.

Lawrence

^^^ When I take the photos this camera is capable of producing I will be very happy - thank you.
@Deezey - Doug I always smile at your wise words. Actually this thread was started more to say there is so much more one can do with dedication. Sitting up all night is dedication but then so is going out to take more shots and try new things after you have already packed up for the day and posted your days takings on 365 as I have just done - moon shots to test the sharpness or lack thereof on my Kenko 1.4X TC.

I'll post them on my 365 so I know where they are when I look back in months to come.

Last edited:

aroy

Not quite sure what you're trying to go for, but that 5100 will NOT cut after a certain point. Sure, it can take some awesome shots when squeezed to its limits, in perfect lighting, on a tripod, but it's still no 7000 if you know what I mean. Just keep on keeping on and save up to move to FX. That's when you'll really start breathing photography.

I would not agree with that. Higher end model, e.g. D7100 may help ease the tedium in professional environment - faster bursts, faster AF, brighter VF, two cards and wider bracketing, but when you come down to the core shooting, they it is same as D5300 as far as low light and sensor density is concerned. In fact if you take analogy of film era, both have the same film. It is same as claiming that a Nikon FM10 takes better pictures than Nikon F6 with the same film.

Where you have a point is that to shoot extreme sports, you need fast body and a very fast lense, but then you do that when you are either selling (or employed to take) the pictures or extremely rich. For general photography, as long as you have a camera which is in the D3xxx, D5xxx, D7xxx or D6xx there are very few limitations. In fact for landscapes all you need is a lense with corner to corner sharpness at F5.6-F11 and a high MP sensor, on a camera with reasonably low noise at base ISO.

Where the FX score in my opinion is
. Better DR, hence better low light performance.
. Wide angles are wide angles, hence a 24mm prime will behave like a 16mm on DX, and a 14mm as 9.5mm. A distinct advantage.
. Brighter View Finder.

But none of these advantages will give you better images. That is in your hands.