Not just a what FX lens question.

mikew_RIP

Instead of limiting your gear, have you explored ways to transport it? I'm looking at a DIY photo cart made upon the frame of either a golf bag pull cart of a jogging/running stroller. There are supposedly several videos posted online on how to do this.

WM

We actually did that about 20 years ago for my late wife when she became unable to carry much and too independent to let me carry it,it was a bit of a pain going across fields ect but for smooth surfaces it worked OK.

Ad B

Hi Mike,

I have my D750 now for 5,5 months. :heart:
I bought it with the 24-85 VR kit lens, but I liked the reach of 120 mm better, much better.
So I sold the 24-85 lens and bought a secondhand 24-120 f4 VR lens.
It's such a good walk around lens.
For my 70-200 f4 vr lens I bought a Kenko Teleplus 1.4 Pro300 DGX extender.
And it also works with my 24-120 lens!!
The 24-120 lens at 120 mm + the Kenko extender becomes a 170 mm F5.6 lens at FX mode!
At the 1.2 mode it gets to 200 mm f5.6 and in DX mode even a 250 mm f5.6
For city trips or holidays flying by plane, so traveling light, I only have this lens + the Kenko with me.
Picture quality is staying very good with the Kenko attached!
For me, no "Holy Grail" like the non VR Nikon 24-70 F2.8 :cool:
I don't need a 2.8 lens (bigger, heavier, more expensive), when you get very good pics at higher ISO's with this camera.

My lenses: Nikon 24-120 f4 vr; Nikon 70-200 f4 VR; Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 OS Contemporary
Plus my Kenko Teleplus 1.4x PRO300 DGX extender
Ad B

Jon Rowlison

After a couple of mentions in this thread for the Nikon 28-300 its been brought into the possible list,my thinking being it would give me a better range for a year until i decide what focal lengths are going to be my most used.
I haven't read all the replies here yet, so I apologize if this is a duplicate response. I have both the Nikon 24-120 and the 28-300. The are about the same weight (in my hand, anyway... I'm sure they're a bit different on a scale.) :) If I am going to grab just one of those two for a walk-around lens I'll take the 28-300. I got the 24-120 as a kit lens with the D750 as it was basically thrown in for $400 instead of the regular price.

The extra reach of the 28-300 is just so NICE to have when I can't walk closer to a potential subject as I travel. It's also an F/3.5 on the wide end instead of an F/4 ([edit] 1/3 stop brighter.) I have a few primes I'll always keep in the bag, but this lens is a workhorse and I haven't seen any soft edges or soft corners on the shots I've taken with it. As mentioned, it DOES have a bit of barrel creep (it doesn't stay at 28mm if you don't lock it there when not in use) and I find myself having to twist it back down.

[Edit] I initially stated 4 -> 3.5 was 2 stops. I didn't have my morning coffee yet that that point. Sorry about that. :)

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

The extra reach of the 28-300 is just so NICE to have when I can't walk closer to a potential subject as I travel. It's also an F/3.5 on the wide end instead of an F/4 (basically just 2 stops brighter.) I have a few primes I'll always keep in the bag, but this lens is a workhorse and I haven't seen any soft edges or soft corners on the shots I've taken with it.

Small clarification... F/3.5 to F/4 isn't two stops brighter. At what focal length does the 28-300mm go above the F/4 floor?

The longer reach from 120-300mm would be nice. That's been my biggest gripe with the 24-120 (coming from the 18-55/55-300 kit lenses with the D5300).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

Just rung the dealer to check what he has and he offered me a new Nikon 70-300 VR for £380 must admit ime tempted then add something else for the wider end.

Jon Rowlison

I had a bit of time today so I went back to read through the "24-120/28-300" debate again... I see a lot of people saying that the 24-120 is a much sharper lens as far as IQ. I hadn't seen this with my images so it was never an issue for me, I guess. If you really need the extra wideness from 24-28 then that may fuel your decision. It sounds like people shooting with the D800/D810 really like the 24-120 much better with their dense sensor. Again, your mileage may vary. I love my 28-300. I carry a separate 12-24 for when I know I'm shooting wide.

mikew_RIP

Bought the 70-300 Nikon and took it straight out from the shop,need focus tuning but not bad for 100% crop.

DSC_01013.jpg

Jon Rowlison

The 28-300mm is at f/3.5-4.0 only to about 40mm. It's f/5 to about 70mm and then f/5.3-f/5.6 through the rest of the range to 300mm. I guess it's not nearly as wide as I'd thought at lower focal distances. That may be enough reason to pick the 24-120mm at a constant f/4 if you only need shots up to 120mm.

mikew_RIP

You thik it's sharp on the 750, you should see it on the 7100. Btw. You should have asked me before u bought the lens. I would have told you to go ahead and get it. lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ime hoping for better,at the moment i only have a Hama UV filter on the dealer gave me until i can source a decent one.

Blacktop

Ime hoping for better,at the moment i only have a Hama UV filter on the dealer gave me until i can source a decent one.
Forget the UV filter. Just another piece of glass in front of a bunch of elements that you don't need. Keep the glass clean and shoot away.

mikew_RIP

Forget the UV filter. Just another piece of glass in front of a bunch of elements that you don't need. Keep the glass clean and shoot away.

Yes heard it before :D but after ruining one lens by getting something sticky like pollen or something on it ime quiet happy with my protective filters,i shoot a lot next to the sea with salt in the air so not taking the chance.

Blacktop

Yes heard it before :D but after ruining one lens by getting something sticky like pollen or something on it ime quiet happy with my protective filters,i shoot a lot next to the sea with salt in the air so not taking the chance.

Ok, be my guest. :cool: