No monochrome

dachshund

One feature I miss on the Z50 that is present on my D5600 and was even present on my old D3300 is the “monochrome” feature in the Retouch menu, It’s only available if you shoot raw. I believe this feature is available on the ZFC for Jpeg or raw so a firmware update would probably rectify this omission. Am I missing something here?

BF Hammer

Z5 has it under the Retouch menu. The Z50 can't be that different. You can also select a monochrome color space under picture control which will even show a monochrome view as you shoot in the viewfinder. Jpegs would save directly that way. I have tried this with my Z5. Other than sensor size the Z50 should be nearly the same.

dachshund

That would be logical, but nonetheless there is no monochrome feature in the re-touch Menu. That feature is not listed in the reference manual so I would assume that’s the way Nikon designed it, why it would not be available makes no sense. I would have thought that nearly identical cameras, i.e. the Z50 and the ZFC would have had a nearly identical feature set, only Nikon can say why they don’t

Clovishound

Unless you are looking to have a B&W display, I would shoot it in RAW, color and then convert to B&W post processing. You have a ton of control that way. In Lightroom you have sliders for each individual color, and can see what those level changes do to the B&W image.

dachshund

That’s true but sometimes while perusing my shots, it would be nice to see what one looks like in b/w, that’s fine if shot in raw but if shot in jpeg you’re SOL. I asked Nikon for info on this, and got no reply.

Fred Kingston

Nikon is infamous for leaving off features on entry-level cameras as a method of differentiating a difference in price/performance... They create higher end cameras, and then create the lower end cameras to meet a lower-price market demand... It's feasible that they just dump whatever software is in the higher-end camera into the lower-end camera... but they don't... so they simply delete features...

dachshund

Sounds very logical, why else would a feature that is present on previous models, even my old D40, not be present on current models, an obvious and intentional omission.