No market for DX cameras, or so we are told

Rick M

I see Niikon are admitting the limits of IBIS with the new 70-200 f2.8

View attachment 328735

They are going to sync IBIS with VR for greater stabilization. The two combined will be better than either separately. Olympus is up to 6.5 stops combined I believe, Nikon should eventually do the same, it becomes very effective on long focal lengths.

BackdoorArts

Not quoting but I'll try and tag.
@hark, Nikon doesn't make a "professional" DX camera. Seriously, my D610 is worth more NPS points in terms of bodies than my D500's. It's ridiculous that it's not categorized as one because it is, but there you have it. Canon's equivalent is (I believe) the 7D Mk ii at about the same price.
@Woodyg3 I've got two D500's and even if I ever go mirrorless those bodies are going nowhere and I may buy one more if they ever decide to blow them out. Nothing better for wildlife and it's the body that kept me with Nikon because it was introduced a week before my brother became a Canon pro and offered me his entire Canon Pro rig from his newspaper days to use for as long as I wanted since they were outfitting him with one of everything. There was nothing there that was better and there still isn't. Still bugs him to this day but he can't fault me for the decision.

IBIS? I'm really not sure how much that lends itself to sports and wildlife, and birds in flight in particular. Not something I want or need. It'll get better over time but for what I shoot the VR in the lenses is more than sufficient.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Ever go to ebay.com and put "nikon d500 parts" in the search field?

Just did and there are some, but what about ten years from now? I l searched D300 parts and found quite a few listings. So, parts may be available down the line if you find a tech that will work on it for you. Good thing to keep in mind.

Woodyg3

Contributor
@Woodyg3 I've got two D500's and even if I ever go mirrorless those bodies are going nowhere and I may buy one more if they ever decide to blow them out. Nothing better for wildlife and it's the body that kept me with Nikon because it was introduced a week before my brother became a Canon pro and offered me his entire Canon Pro rig from his newspaper days to use for as long as I wanted since they were outfitting him with one of everything. There was nothing there that was better and there still isn't. Still bugs him to this day but he can't fault me for the decision.

IBIS? I'm really not sure how much that lends itself to sports and wildlife, and birds in flight in particular. Not something I want or need. It'll get better over time but for what I shoot the VR in the lenses is more than sufficient.

Agreed on all points. I find that most people who doubt the value of the D500 and DX in general have never owned or even tried the D500.

I have yet to own a camera with IBIS, and I suspect I would like it in certain situations, but as you said I'm not sure it has much application in wildlife and sports. Subject movement is the critical factor in most of my shooting, more so than camera movement, normally. And, I can hand hold with my 200-500 at a pretty slow shutter speeds for still subjects.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Not quoting but I'll try and tag.
Nikon doesn't make a "professional" DX camera. Seriously, my D610 is worth more NPS points in terms of bodies than my D500's. It's ridiculous that it's not categorized as one because it is, but there you have it. Canon's equivalent is (I believe) the 7D Mk ii at about the same price.

According to Nikon's web site, the D500 is classified as a DX Flagship Body. And the D5 is called their FX Flagship Body. So even though they don't call either of them a Pro body, according to Nikon they are in the same category.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/dslr-cameras/dx.page

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/dslr-cameras/fx.page

But that stinks about the points. ;)

Rick M

I've found IBIS is really just something nice to have. Like anything new, you might like it after you try it. For me it significantly reduces the need to carry a tripod and helps with low light shooting (instead of cranking up iso).

Definitely not intend for BIF or fast sports. Most useful for static subjects. An area I hike in has pretty dense woods, auto ibis allows the camera to toggle between ibis on/off. I see a bird in flight it's off, a split second later notice a fox standing in a dark spot it's on and I shoot with no setting changes, without cranking up iso.

Sure we don't need it, but it is another mirrorless benefit.

Nikon's iteration will be much improved with an auto ibis option, hopefully through a firmware upgrade down the road.

They could set it up like the auto shutter selection, kicks in below a certain shutter speed.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

According to Nikon's web site, the D500 is classified as a DX Flagship Body. And the D5 is called their FX Flagship Body. So even though they don't call either of them a Pro body, according to Nikon they are in the same category.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/dslr-cameras/dx.page

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/dslr-cameras/fx.page

But that stinks about the points. ;)

They can call it what they want, but how they feel about its professional use is clearly reflected in the NPS points requirement contribution. When a "flagship" current release is less valued than multiple discontinued cameras that speaks volumes.

https://www.nikonpro.com/ProductList.aspx

Sandpatch

This may be the wrong thread in which to ask my question, but do mirrorless cameras have viewfinders? If so, does your eye see with the same clarity as with a DSLR?

I've never adjusted to using an LCD screen outdoors because of the glare and because I can set up compositions much better through a viewfinder.

Lastly, how does battery life in a mirrorless camera compare to a DSLR? I find Live View shortens battery life. Thanks!

Rick M

This may be the wrong thread in which to ask my question, but do mirrorless cameras have viewfinders? If so, does your eye see with the same clarity as with a DSLR?

I've never adjusted to using an LCD screen outdoors because of the glare and because I can set up compositions much better through a viewfinder.

Lastly, how does battery life in a mirrorless camera compare to a DSLR? I find Live View shortens battery life. Thanks!

Mirrorless cameras have an electronic viewfinder, which is why battery life is usually shorter than a DSLR. I prefer them now as I can see changes in DoF and EV changes as I shoot. It's just another thing to get used to, but not hard now as they have come a long way in just a few years.

mikew_RIP

As far as seeing the image with out glare the EVF is just like a viewfinder, mirrorless can use more battery but not too bad if you dont use the LCD screen.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

If you are using a Nikon EN-EL15 battery, Nikon came out with the EN-EL15b as its replacement. Supposedly it should get a little longer life although as you mentioned, Live View will still drain any battery faster than normal. It also uses the same charger as the EN-EL15.

Sandpatch

If you are using a Nikon EN-EL15 battery, Nikon came out with the EN-EL15b as its replacement. Supposedly it should get a little longer life although as you mentioned, Live View will still drain any battery faster than normal. It also uses the same charger as the EN-EL15.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone. Sounds like I'd be quite content with an Electronic View Finder. I'm assuming that an EVF can be focused just as with a DSLR? My vision isn't what it used to be.

Interestingly Hark, I bought a second Nikon-brand battery for my D5100 some years ago and its life is much better than the one that came with the camera. Now I know why. I just checked and it's a EN-EL15b.

mikew_RIP

Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone. Sounds like I'd be quite content with an Electronic View Finder. I'm assuming that an EVF can be focused just as with a DSLR? My vision isn't what it used to be.

Interestingly Hark, I bought a second Nikon-brand battery for my D5100 some years ago and its life is much better than the one that came with the camera. Now I know why. I just checked and it's a EN-EL15b.

The EVF can have many benefits one big one for me is if i want to change any menu settings i can use the EVF instead of the LCD so i don't need my reading glasses on.