Nikon's New 300mm f/4 Looks Impressive

mauckcg

I think it will be a great lens. Except I would like the sigma 120-300 f2.8 sport and that would fit my needs better than a prime 300 f4 at this point.

Bigfatmole

Will this lens work and AF fine with my D610 with x2 converter on . Do you think it would be sharper than my Tamron 150-600 @600mm ?

my tamron is always @ 600mm F8 anyway .

i could be very tempted by this lens if it will work fully with x2 converter

Rick M

Will this lens work and AF fine with my D610 with x2 converter on . Do you think it would be sharper than my Tamron 150-600 @600mm ?

You'll loose a lot of image quality with a 2x converter

cadomniel

I think its the perfect wildlife lens combined with 1.4 TC. I can carry that all day long. The Tamzooka on the other hand I would get tired of it...
I hope the price goes down a bit like the 80-400mm VR dropped in price after it was introduced.

Elliot87

Sadly both the old and new versions of this lens are beyond my budget at the moment. I've been looking at older glass on ebay but know next to nothing about a lot of them. I came across a Nikkor 300mm f4.5, AI lens, Nikon F series, the description says it "It takes great pictures on digital cameras with appropriate adapter". I don't know what it means by an appropriate adapter so was hoping someone could enlighten me?

$_12.JPG

I don't care about not having metering, autofocus etc. I'm just looking for something slightly faster and perhaps with better IQ than my Tamron 70-300. MY wife also has a F80/N80 SLR which I borrow from time to time, would this lens function better on this than my D3200?

Thanks for any advice offered and apologies for posting here if its not appropriate, just didn't think it warranted its own thread.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Sadly both the old and new versions of this lens are beyond my budget at the moment. I've been looking at older glass on ebay but know next to nothing about a lot of them. I came across a Nikkor 300mm f4.5, AI lens, Nikon F series, the description says it "It takes great pictures on digital cameras with appropriate adapter". I don't know what it means by an appropriate adapter so was hoping someone could enlighten me?

View attachment 146494

I don't care about not having metering, autofocus etc. I'm just looking for something slightly faster and perhaps with better IQ than my Tamron 70-300. MY wife also has a F80/N80 SLR which I borrow from time to time, would this lens function better on this than my D3200?

Thanks for any advice offered and apologies for posting here if its not appropriate, just didn't think it warranted its own thread.

Dont know hat your budget is but there are better versions,check nikon 300 f4 on ebay and that should show you your options.

One example of what should be better plus if you trade up your body this would be more compatible with the D7xxx

NIKON 300mm F4.5 AIS ED IF REALLY EXCELLENT CONDITION | eBay

Elliot87

I don't know what my budget is either but probably more in the £150 or less region. I'm still figuring out what you can realistically expect to get for that money. A D7100 body is what I'm most likely to spend my money on leaving not much for lens at the moment. Do you know what adapter would be needed for the lens I posted? Learning more about these old lenses is interesting in itself.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for better versions like the one you posted.

Elliot87

Out of interest, are these likely to give better image quality than my 70-300mm and can they be used with a teleconverter? Thanks

mikew_RIP

No idea for both your questions but i think @Marcel had one of the early versions so this should put out a call for him,if you want it for wildlife then avoid adapters as they could make it too slow to use.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Out of interest, are these likely to give better image quality than my 70-300mm and can they be used with a teleconverter? Thanks
Yes and yes, but with the tele-converter you sacrifice a bit of IQ depending on which you use.

Elliot87

Yes and yes, but with the tele-converter you sacrifice a bit of IQ depending on which you use.

Thanks, I would most likely look to get a 1.4x tele-converter but I haven't looked into them too much. Do you know what it means when it says that the lens I posted will work on DSLR's with the correct adapter?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks, I would most likely look to get a 1.4x tele-converter but I haven't looked into them too much. Do you know what it means when it says that the lens I posted will work on DSLR's with the correct adapter?
No, but one thing to remember is that if the lens is old enough (not Ai or Ais), it can damage the camera. See your user manual to make certain you can use that lens without damage. To me, it's a bit useless to try and save money on lenses that you're not 100% certain that they will work on your camera. Good lenses are an investment and should be taken seriously. If you don't have money to buy the lens you want and/or need, WAIT until you have the money. Buying twice, even if you think the first one is a bargain, is more expensive than buying the right one the first time.

Whiskeyman

This lens should work with the latest Nikkor x2 teleconverters, since the D610 can focus at f8, as long as there is enough light on the scene. To lose less IQ, the lens should be stopped down from the maximum aperture: to be successful, you need either enough light or to raise the ISO.

To ensure teleconverter compatibility, check the NikonUSA site for the D610 or your camera's manual.

WM

aroy

All AIS lenses work with the Nikon D3xxx bodies. The focus is manual, so is the exposure. I use the 105mm F2.8 AIS Macro a lot, and calculating exposure is a bit of a trial and error thing. Still with the DR of the D3300, I have plenty of latitude, as long as I do not blow the highlight.

If I were in your position, I would start saving money for the 300mm F4, and buy it when the funds permit it. The 300mm F4 is a better lens than the F4.5 version.

mikew_RIP

I ordered one today and even when they're only available within some weeks here, it's already back-order.

Dont know if you caught my post about some users having VR problems,well i have just read a piece from a guy thats tested 3 or 4 of these lenses with a D810 and a d7200,no problem with the D7200 but he has had problems getting sharp images from the D810 combination using VR,his tests have concluded its a vibration thats caused it from the mirror,he has cured it by fitting the battery grip.
I have no explanation how this has achieved it but thought i would post it for you to log in the back of your mind just in case.