Nikon WU-1A wireless mobile adapter thoughts and experiences?

SteveH

I use the WU-1A with my D7100 fairly often - In my opinion, the WU-1A wouldn't be good value at all without DSLR Dashboard, luckily I used the app via USB cable before getting the wireless adapter.

I use the adapter in the garden to photograph birds on the feeder - It allows me to retreat back behind the bins and hide while still seeing what is going on.... Also with DSLRDashboard you can change your focus point etc. In a similar way, its good for self-portraits as you don't have to use the timer or be restricted by a cable remote.

On the downside, the WU-1A doesn't have much range.... It can be defeated by things like a window, although this could be as much my phone as the device it's self.

FLASHIONISTA

I ordered this from b&h...and ofter one weekend use i returned it. too inconsistent, too bulky (it protrudes) and tiny. Easy to lose we well. That's my two cents!

I ordered this from b&h...and ofter one weekend use i returned it. too inconsistent, too bulky (it protrudes) and tiny. Easy to lose we well. That's my two cents!

i mounted mine to the camera strap and it lives in the tiny little case. Most of the time I don't even know it is there. When I do use it there is not problem with its size. Now getting it to work with my iPhone is the trick. Great with the Android Tablet but with the iPhone it is useless.

480sparky

i mounted mine to the camera strap and it lives in the tiny little case. Most of the time I don't even know it is there. When I do use it there is not problem with its size...........

Some day that little case will pop open, the unit will fall out, and you'll never notice it.

At least until you want to use it.

Chubby

I've had mine for over a year and I've never gotten it to download all the pictures i've asked it too, usually that's 12 or less. it's a good idea that doesn't work very well. I wonder how the built in the D7200 compares?

Mine doesn't.

Here are photos of mine. The little case is attached to the strap. The unit is attached by string to the camera
6062fc239d3f2bb01e869e410cd0d99c.jpg
2f811dbc151d0cdc13e08935cd0d8443.jpg
9d4694cad620b7e5c59aade35afa7915.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This setup is really nice. IT does not get lost or in the way. Now if the unit itself worked as good.

I just tried downloading a photo from my camera to my iPhone again. At recommended size it timed out before it could finish which was several minutes. So someone had mentioned putting the phone in Airplane mode so I tried that and surprise. the photos download in seconds. I think I am happy again.

carguy

The unit itself is attached by string to if it does fall out it just dangles. I need to get mine out and photograph it.
Same here. It's not complicated.
This is how it's linked to the bag for now so I don't lose it. The dongle/case slip into a side pocket of the bag I have. The only way this gets lost is if I lose the bag :)

f7f821cf181506cc712653c31fb16b96.jpg

a5dbb7cbaced5c27f940b4740adef3a9.jpg

Last edited:

carguy

I tried this out a bit last night and this morning. I'm using the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility (WMU) app from the Google Play store. It does what it says it will do, takes pictures and downloads images from the camera (both jpg and RAW format).

I'll download the DSLR dashboard app (ARM version) from the web site later today and play with that as well.

I appreciate the info in this thread - thanks!

480sparky

Neither of mine (I have both the WU-1A and WU-1B) came with any little strap. Either Nikon changed how they package them since I bought them or they're packaged differently for different markets.

carguy

They don't come with a strap. The case it comes with has a little bump-out that lets you thread the standard Nikon camera strap thru the bump-out...
Mine came with a strap. It is inside the booklet included within the packaging. Maybe not all did or maybe some people don't' look there?

Mine came in a clear package that hangs on a peg in the store like this. According to google images, other markets or older versions may be in a gold/black box.

* Random image from the interwebs *

DSC_0519.jpg

Last edited: