Nikon VS Nikon

Which Nikon? post reason in comments.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rick M

The Nikon 1 lenses are fantastic. You will be amazed at how much more a 1 inch sensor can do over the P&S. I've printed (and sold) some 11x14's from the J3. You'll have much more data to work with in post. When I worked in post with smaller sensors like the Canon G12 (an excellent P&S), it felt like the image was falling apart. The only frustration I've had with Nikon 1 bodies is no ISO selection between 400 and 800. 800 on any smaller sensor is pushing it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Ok I have narrowed my camera choice down to these two.

Nikon Coolpix A

and

Nikon 1 AW1

those knowing me, which would you recommend?

Two similar pocketable cameras with so many differences.

I chose the Coolpix A because I already have it. The two big reasons are the sensor size which performs much better on low light high ISO conditions, similar to your D7000 and the ability to add your current Nikon flash.

These were my requirements since most point and shoot cameras are just horrible once they pass ISO 400. ISO 3200 with the Coolpix A still looks good to me.

Coolpix A.jpgCoolpix A.jpgSeoul April 2014 086.jpg

TedG954

For me, there's no comparison.

[h=3]Advantages of the Nikon Coolpix A[/h]
overall_quality2.gif
Much better image quality80.0vs51.0
help_14.gif

Around 60% better image quality
dynamic_range.gif
More dynamic range13.8 EVvs10.9 EV
help_14.gif

2.9 f-stops more dynamic range
24p.gif
Supports 24pYesvsNo
help_14.gif

Get that real film feel
colour_depth.gif
Better color depth23.4 bitsvs20.2 bits
help_14.gif

Distinguishes 3.2 more bits of color
sensor_size.gif
Significantly larger sensorAPS-C 23.6x15.7mmvsNikon CX 13.2x8.8mm
help_14.gif

More than 3x larger sensor
low_light.gif
Lower noise at high ISO1,164 ISOvs428 ISO
help_14.gif

The Coolpix A has excellent image quality 1.4 f-stops higher ISO than the AW1
true_resolution.gif
Higher true resolution16.1 MPvs14.2 MP
help_14.gif

Capture more than 10% more detail in your photos
flash_external.gif
Supports an external flashYesvsNo
help_14.gif

An external flash often produces better looking flash images
iso.gif
Better boost ISO25,600 ISOvs6,400 ISO
help_14.gif

The Coolpix A's boost ISO is 2 f-stops better

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I had already voted for the Coolpix A, and after looking at Ted's comparison table, there's more than enough reasons to go with it. The ONLY reason I might consider the other camera is for underwater capability. That being said, I would break free of Nikon and go with a NEX Sony. They take amazing pictures. Just saying.

Rick M

You can't beat the sensor in the Coolpix A for sure. I would only get the nikon 1 if you are ok with ISO of 400 or less.The only advantage of the Nikon 1 system to me is interchangeable lenses. The new 70-300 has a view of 810mm. Here is a shot from my J3 with the lowly 30-110 (297mm view) this is about a 100% crop I believe. morning Moon,

DSC_0833_10217.jpg

Scott Murray

You can't beat the sensor in the Coolpix A for sure. I would only get the nikon 1 if you are ok with ISO of 400 or less.The only advantage of the Nikon 1 system to me is interchangeable lenses. The new 70-300 has a view of 810mm. Here is a shot from my J3 with the lowly 30-110 (297mm view) this is about a 100% crop I believe. morning Moon,

View attachment 84621

Thanks everyone for the input and poll votes I am leaning towards the AW1 due to its robust build (stainless steel body) and the water proofness of it. I may also look at another light weight camera after I get back from Bali. I will be handling one Tuesday and will go from there.