Nikon NY Repair Center

Sandpatch

Like Whiskeyman, I used Nikon's NY repair center with good success years ago when the shutter mechanism failed on my D5100. The worst part of the return was dealing with the Nikon service representative on the phone, who read through an endless troubleshooting script with me while the cause of the problem was clear.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Before I went out to do more testing, I changed the value of the AF tuning to +15. *sigh* That definitely didn't help. Below is a photo from that outing. It was overcast so not thrilled my ISO hit the max of 4000.

Then yesterday I recalibrated the AF tuning and landed on +7 but haven't yet had a chance to test it.

_DSC2193 low res.jpg

BackdoorArts

If you're getting these results after calibration then something is amiss with the lens. I'm not seeing much of anything sharp on these so I'm thinking it's not a front/back focus issue.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you're getting these results after calibration then something is amiss with the lens. I'm not seeing much of anything sharp on these so I'm thinking it's not a front/back focus issue.

I'm definitely leaning towards the lens requiring repair but still have another test to try. I want to use the lens alone without the teleconverter and see how it performs. What I noticed with the 1.7x tele is the lens is very slow to AF when it's in the mid-range. Once the focus moves closer to infinity, the speed of AF picks up. So it might very well be a lens repair issue, but I want to test it alone first to see if the problem persists. It seems the results I'm getting with the teleconverter vary greatly. And I'll test it with the 1.4x tele, too. Thanks for your input, Jake! :encouragement:

BackdoorArts

I'm definitely leaning towards the lens requiring repair but still have another test to try. I want to use the lens alone without the teleconverter and see how it performs. What I noticed with the 1.7x tele is the lens is very slow to AF when it's in the mid-range. Once the focus moves closer to infinity, the speed of AF picks up. So it might very well be a lens repair issue, but I want to test it alone first to see if the problem persists. It seems the results I'm getting with the teleconverter vary greatly. And I'll test it with the 1.4x tele, too. Thanks for your input, Jake! :encouragement:

Didn't notice that. I have given up on the 1.7x TCii. Everything I get with it on my 300mm is lousy. I'd rather crop more and use AI resizing if necessary. The 1.4x TCii is much better, but it's gotten less use since I bought the 500mm.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I gave my 300mm f/4 PF absolutely every chance to perform, but in the end it just couldn't AF well. Most images missed focus while the rest were very soft. I even switched to my 1.4x TC - but no better with that.

So today I went out with my 300mm f/4 non-VR lens coupled with my 1.4x TC. This lens makes noise while auto focusing, but it still has a little life left in it. Wound up not being able to capture some images simply because the lens couldn't achieve AF on a moving target. And that was a shame. Two crows decided to dive-bomb this hawk - tried but failed to focus. Eventually the hawk had enough and took off after them. Then it became very quiet. No idea whether or not the hawk caught up with them.

_DSC2404 low res.jpg

Woodyg3

Contributor
Cindy, you gotta' get that lens fixed. It's no fun missing shots! I have my D500 at Nikon NY right now for repair. They will give you an estimate before any repairs are started. Just do it! :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cindy, you gotta' get that lens fixed. It's no fun missing shots! I have my D500 at Nikon NY right now for repair. They will give you an estimate before any repairs are started. Just do it! :)

I know, Woody! It's been since the end of January or beginning of February since the lens worked properly. So it's already been a very long time trying to figure out what was wrong. If you remember, initially I thought the problem was the 1.7x TC. But after exhaustive testing, much to my surprise it is the lens.

I still have the 300mm f/4 non-VR lens, but that one makes noise when focusing (which it didn't used to do). For now I will just make due with it. But as for the Nikon Repair Center, no doubt they will be going on a holiday vacation very soon so not sure I'd get my lens returned until mid-January if I sent it now. Lol. At least I should call and ask. ;)

Whiskeyman

Cindy, I may have missed it above, but what technique/product are you using to test the focus on your lens?

I've used Reikan FoCal Pro and the "eyeball technique" and found that a slight difference in lighting can have an efffect upon my results.

(To increase my frustration, I've asked Santa Claus for a Lensalign focus calibration kit. If I get it, it'll likely give me a third set of results that don't match the others!)

WM

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cindy, I may have missed it above, but what technique/product are you using to test the focus on your lens?

I've used Reikan FoCal Pro and the "eyeball technique" and found that a slight difference in lighting can have an efffect upon my results.

(To increase my frustration, I've asked Santa Claus for a Lensalign focus calibration kit. If I get it, it'll likely give me a third set of results that don't match the others!)

WM

The D500 has its own ability to automatically adjust/tune the AF (done thru Live View). I printed out the target image that Steve Perry offers and taped it up in a bright area. And I did the adjustment like he suggested - by taking multiple readings then narrowing down the results (and used a tripod). The thing is many times absolutely nothing is in sharp focus. So it isn't just front or back focusing. It just isn't achieving focus even when the green dot lights up inside the viewfinder.

Whiskeyman

The D500 has its own ability to automatically adjust/tune the AF (done thru Live View). I printed out the target image that Steve Perry offers and taped it up in a bright area. And I did the adjustment like he suggested - by taking multiple readings then narrowing down the results (and used a tripod). The thing is many times absolutely nothing is in sharp focus. So it isn't just front or back focusing. It just isn't achieving focus even when the green dot lights up inside the viewfinder.

I've used that same method on my D500, but don't remember how it went. Have you tried focusing using Liveview to see if there is a difference? I had issues with one of my cameras (D7xxx) and tried everything and couldn't get good focus with any of my lenses. I took photos with nearly every lens I had at every single AF calibration setting and then reviewed them on my computer. Nothing seemed consistent, so I figured I had a bad camera. Hopefully, that is not your case. Godd luck in finding a solution for this.

WM

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I will be looking to send my 300mm f/4 PF to Nikon for repair this month. Both this lens as well as my 300mm f/4 non-VR lens are having AF issues. That said, I came across this image posted elsewhere online. I might have inadvertently used some of the other focus points because there have been times when both lenses hunted extensively. And that might have contributed to the AF problems. My TC is the TC-17E II coupled with f/4 lenses. There are just 15 focus points available to use with the 1.7x TC. Obviously I wasn't aware of this. Most times I use single point but sometimes move it around depending on where I'm trying to focus on my subjects. And I'm sure there were times I moved the focus point to outside those limited 15 points.

So here's a question for anyone. When selecting the option to use 72-point dynamic-area AF, would the camera know only to choose these specific 15 points? :confused: Sometimes I switch it up and use the 72 points option.

*I believe this chart came from the D750 owner's manual but might be applicable to other bodies.
f8 support.png

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Although it's always been my intention to send in my 300mm f/4 PF for repair, now I've run into something else. It's missed focus no matter what even after I used the D500's ability to use the AF tuning feature. So out of curiosity I decided to try Peter7100's suggestion he mentioned in a different thread to see if would reset any electrical issues.

Afterwards the reset (not the typical reset people do to the shooting menu) offered quite a bit of improvement although not quite up to speed yet. BUT maybe I need to do the AF tuning again. It's at +7 right now, and perhaps I will increase that up to +9 to see if it helps.

Here are a couple of NEF's taken over the past two days. For whatever reason, they uploaded as being overexposed; however, in reality neither one is overexposed. If I could have anyone take a look and give me your impressions of sharpness, I'd appreciate it. Just remember this lens is paired with the Nikon 1.7x TC in these two files.

Do you think the sharpness can be improved further either by another AF tuning or by getting the lens repaired?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqpftpxek3lvavo/AADGTrYXhrc7BP16lQf68_Tka?dl=0

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
After tolerating this as much as possible, I finally opened a case for Nikon repair. Most likely I'll hear a response Monday or Tuesday on how to proceed to send it in. This will be for my 300mm f/4 PF. It's to address both the focusing as well as the VR.

I even considered getting the 200-500mm f/5.6 VR, but its weight would simply be too much for me to handle (chronic tennis elbow). And the 500mm f/5.6 PF is just too expensive to consider. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any type of viable alternative that isn't overly expensive or heavy.

I have no idea how their repair centers are operating - but guess I will find out. ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Last week I sent my lens to Nikon for repair. This afternoon it arrived back home.

My comments when I submitted the claim included the AF being off for distance images (infinity) despite using the AF fine tune, and the lens would visibly stick or slow down when switching from focusing on something close to something in the distance. As the barrel rotated to bring a distance subject into focus, the lens would almost stop in the midrange. Plus I asked for the VR to be checked since the Normal VR made images jump to the top or bottom of the frame even when the body/lens didn't move. And the Sport VR didn't always lock.

I haven't yet even mounted it on my D500, but take a guess what they determined with it based on the invoice I received....

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
They couldn't find anything wrong with the AF stating it was within specs. And the VR issue wasn't even logged in despite several phone calls on my part. They cleaned the glass and tested the AF. :(

Yesterday when I called, the rep said he didn't have access to the work order - and by that time the lens was ready to be shipped back to me. So I'm guessing he just didn't want to take responsibility for their lack of follow through.

Today when I called after reading the invoice, the rep said they adjusted the AF. Yet that isn't indicated on my invoice at all. I haven't yet tested the lens, and with tomorrow's forecast of rain and Friday's forecast of possible snow, I will probably have to wait until the weekend. It's just after having a bad experience with my D600 (oil spot issue from the shutter with 3 failed repairs) and the repair to my 20mm lens that resulted in a HUGE dust bunny inside the rear element (which required that lens to be sent back again), I'm not a fan of their service department. Even my SB910 that was repaired when it stopped working only allowed me 100 flash images (not even in quick succession) before it failed again.

So this is now my 4th repair that wasn't addressed properly.