Nikon F5

coolbus18

Yes I understand the family , job situation. I was , I ain't and I'm retired. The crags in the rocks are what draws me.. see a lot of good to wow medium format work here in Portland.I also have "the once I get the bug I gotta have " syndrome.But also , if I'm in good health, next Spring I'm to take a photo safari here in Oregon. Also a Whale Watch boat.$35/2hrs. in a Zephyr boat. And the scenery is well it's the West coast. Looking to explore.

Yeah 35mm is darned good and for where I'm at it's plenty for me. Oh I also got the PIP expanded guide to the F5 by--Chris Weston.Lots of good "field"tips. Enjoy!

coolbus18

Making that turn.jpgb&w flower #1.jpgGracie smilin'.jpgNikon F5, Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 Ais ed if, Kodak Tmax 400

Retro

Hooray! Enjoy your new F5! Guess we'll have to start a F5 thread. :triumphant:

Considering how many long-time expert photographers are on this forum, and that most, or all, of them came from film, and some likely had an F5, I'm surprised there isn't already a thread. I'm shocked that the F5 isn't even in the database here. I had to add the FE2 and F100 myself. Would you mind adding the F5?

coolbus18

Considering how many long-time expert photographers are on this forum, and that most, or all, of them came from film, and some likely had an F5, I'm surprised there isn't already a thread. I'm shocked that the F5 isn't even in the database here. I had to add the FE2 and F100 myself. Would you mind adding the F5?
No problem

Retro

No problem

Thank you, Coolbus. I'll be adding that to my profile soon.

Despite my lack of experience, I have to say, the idea of 'dusting off the old F5' is laughable to me. I remember playing with one at Turek Camera in Windsor in the late '90s. I knew I was foolish for wanting one, since it was way beyond my abilities, but it was like holding the holy grail in my hands. It was $3,800cdn, and the F90 was $1,400. I'll learn all I can on my F100, and then I should be able to use the F5. I can't wait to hold that beast.

Mine is coming without cables or a manual, so I'll have to start looking for them.

Retro

I got my F5 yesterday. It's not mint, as I had expected, but it's in decent shape. I complained about scratches to the viewfinder, and the seller refunded me $100, which I promptly put towards a new DP-30. I've also ordered a new MS-30. When your batteries die, you don't want to be fumbling with the cradle removing dead batteries and installing new ones. You can miss a lot of action that way, so I want a spare. I'll fill it with new batteries and keep that cradle handy in a camera bag or pocket.

I'll just wrap the old DP-30 up in bubble wrap and put it away in storage for if I ever need it. I just couldn't bear to look at this huge scratch every time I bring the camera to my face.

I played with the Ch mode....Wow! This thing is fast! I can't wait to blow a roll on 5 or 6 seconds of action.

coolbus18

cool as a moose!! yep the F5 in CH is warp speed fast. Sorry about the viewfinder but at least you've got money for a DP-30. I wish you much joy and many neat photos! Enjoy the weekend!