NIKON F4 vs NIKON D4 vs NIKON D800 vs Nikon D7000 w. AF-S lenses :D

Danno

Hello ! I don’t know if you still using this forum but I have few questions regarding 85mm 1.4G on Nikon F4. Why A and M modes will not work? I think it should work at 1.4 aperture only and camera will still metering. My M42 Pentacon 135mm 2.8 is working flawlessly on F4 and my F4 I don’t know how but he knows that it’s 2.8 lens, same for Helios 58mm 2.0 , F4 knows it’s 2.0 ... i don’t know how. So I think A and M modes will work with 85mm 1.4G.
Please if someone can help me to explain 85mm 1.4G on Nikon F4 . I am hesitating between 1.4G and 1.4D, but I would love to get 1.4G. I am ok to shoot at 1.4 only. The reason I want 1.4G is because It’s probably better as investment for my next purchase of mirrorless camera, because 1.4G is sharper

I cannot answer your question regarding the function problems you are having issues with. If you are considering Nikon mirrorless next you would want to go with the G, or just wait until you get the mirrorless camera. The Nikon mirrorless mount is different and the new 85 f 1.8 is pretty impressive. I am waiting on mine to arrive. I preordered it based on my 50 1.8 S and since ordering have seen some great samples.

STM

I have an F4E and love it. The F4E makes it a lot easier and quicker to remove the batteries. I too like the conventional controls rather than menus and thumbwheels

xjogass

Bump.

Anyone knows how G lenses works on Nikon F4? I heard it will only work correctly in P and S modes. And in A mode it will work at smallest aperture ...f/22??? Or 1.4??
If I can get work 85mm 1.4G at 1.4 in A or M mode that would be enough for me (without string).

xjogass

Couple of things I forgot to mention. This is an F4s as it has the MB-21 battery grip as opposed to an F4 or F4e.

Also, it was funny on occasion as I was testing the F4 as I would take a photo, then look right away at the back of the camera, just as I would look at the back of a digital Nikon, but there's nothing to see back there, hehe. Strange how one develops habits that one is not even aware of.

Dear friend please can you help me ? I want to know how 85mm f/1.4G will functioning on F4 . In every details. Also I want to know how to shoot at 1.4 aperture all the time ? And I guess the lens is already closed to f/16 so I need to use a string or lock the lever so it will be open at 1.4? But if so , will the F4 recognize that lens is open at 1.4 and metering correctly ?
Thank you for your help

STM

F4E.jpgI finally acquired an MB-23 a couple of years ago and if you are going to use the F4 a fair amount it is definitely worth the money. The biggest advantage of the MB-23 is access to the battery. The battery tray slides out of the battery pack just like any DSLR does. You do not have to remove that battery pack, remove the batteries in the camera and battery pack, and then put it all back together. It is perhaps my opinion, but I think the F4E is even better looking than the F4S

Last edited: