Nikon D850: Images constantly under exposed

Fred Kingston

Send it to Nikon… If you’re correct, they’ll adjust it, and only charge you shipping. If it’s within their defined parameters…they do nothing and only charge you for the shipping.

Either way… I’d just make the adjustment to B7… and skip risking my camera to all the shipping…

Horoscope Fish

Thank you for the reply.

Because not all D850 have this problem, isn't this something that should be adjusted or serviced by NikonUSA instead of going thru b7: Fine-Tune Optimal Exposure?

Thank you.
You could contact Nikon and discuss it with them but I have a feeling they'll reply saying your D850 is, "Within specification". Then again, they may not; and maybe they'll perform a repair. If the Fine-Tune Optimal Exposure option is one you don't like, I suggest emailing Nikon Customer Service, maybe attach some photos illustrating the problem, and see what they say.

jkmin

Send it to Nikon… If you’re correct, they’ll adjust it, and only charge you shipping. If it’s within their defined parameters…they do nothing and only charge you for the shipping.

Either way… I’d just make the adjustment to B7… and skip risking my camera to all the shipping…

Thank you for the comment.
I live in Los Angeles area, so I can take it there myself.
I am just debating with myself if this is something I need to do fine tuning myself and live with it or have it serviced by Nikon, if the NikonUSA accept.
Thank you.

jkmin

You could contact Nikon and discuss it with them but I have a feeling they'll reply saying your D850 is, "Within specification". Then again, they may not; and maybe they'll perform a repair. If the Fine-Tune Optimal Exposure option is one you don't like, I suggest emailing Nikon Customer Service, maybe attach some photos illustrating the problem, and see what they say.

I am contacting NikonUSA for this issue.
If they perform the repair, do you know what they do by any chance? Do they replace faulty hardware? Certainly it looks like it is not a software issue since the software codes would be same for all D850.

Thank you.

jkmin

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.
We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

The consensus of this thread from 2017 is that a little underexposure is normal for this camera.

Thank you for the comment and the warm welcome.

But I suppose that this underexposure problem does not happen in the majority of the D850.
Maybe it is definitely due to my lack of knowledge and experience.

Thank you.

Horoscope Fish

I am contacting NikonUSA for this issue.
If they perform the repair, do you know what they do by any chance? Do they replace faulty hardware? Certainly it looks like it is not a software issue since the software codes would be same for all D850.

Thank you.
While I have read posts from other D850 owners with this same complaint of underexposure, I've not read of anyone having their D850 serviced by Nikon to resolve the issue. Based on the fact there IS a user accessible option to correct this, I would guess Nikon probably does something similar; they'll just have more sophisticated tools and testing equipment to do it with. But again, I'm guessing when I say that. I think it's likely Nikon will request you send in your D850 so they can run diagnostics; if there's an issue they'll provide a quote.

If you do send your camera in to Nikon to be evaluated, I'd be very curious to hear what they say, you're definitely not alone in your underexposure complaint.