Nikon D7100- Frustrating - "Err" message problem.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Hark,
Thank you & the others for all your help with my D7100 problem.
After trying all suggestions I bit the bullet & took it into Digicam, Adelaide for their take on things.
Long story short I pick up the camera complete with a new shutter next week, costing AUD$385, disappointing as the camera had less than 30,000 shutter operations from new, but sadly that's life sometimes.
Thanks again.

It's a shame to have to pay for a shutter replacement with such a low shutter count. As you said, it's disappointing. However, that body is a workhorse and hopefully will last you for a very long time. At least it's fixed so you can now enjoy using it! :)

Peter7100

Although very frustrating, that’s sounds like a fairly good price as I have heard of people paying more for a shutter replacement albeit on different bodies.
Wondering what people pay on average for shutter replacements, not that I need one (yet!). Just curious of price variances around the world.

Yormalda

Hi Nikonites,

I have a D7100, using a Nikon 18-300 lens, that has now developed a frustrating problem I have been unable to come to grips with!

When I turn the camera on I get a Err message in the top screen & the camera will not work, how ever if I persist & fully depress shutter button although it sound like it has taken a photo nothing happened that action seems to reset camera & the next time I depress the shutter button the camera works as it should taking it's usual quality photo, it is then a case of repeat from then on until I turn of camera.

Camera firmware - 1.04
Lens firmware - 2.018

Other lens have been tried but no change to problem. :(

I have fully reset camera & set-up as recommended on Nasim Mansura Recommended Nikon D7100 Settings - https://photographylife.com/recommended-nikon-d7100-settings.

I am not saying they are best but have used purely as a reference point.

As the problem is predictable I feel/hope that it is a settings problem somewhere but am unable to find what!

Help needed please!

Hi Nikonites,

Thought that I would just give final update to my D7100 saga.

Today I picked up my repaired Nikon D7100 from DigiCam Adelaide, camera fixed, thank you DigiCam, all is now working as it was, The fault was entirely due to a faulty Shutter Mechanism, shutter mechanism replaced, camera cleaned & all Firmware updated as required.
Can't say I was happy that Shutter Mechanism failed with way less than 30,000 operations but that's life.

If anyone else has a similar problem with, I'm guessing most, Nikon DSLR's hopefully my findings may help.
Thanks again to all who had input into trying to solve the problem.
Regards
Yormalda

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Nikonites,

Thought that I would just give final update to my D7100 saga.

Today I picked up my repaired Nikon D7100 from DigiCam Adelaide, camera fixed, thank you DigiCam, all is now working as it was, The fault was entirely due to a faulty Shutter Mechanism, shutter mechanism replaced, camera cleaned & all Firmware updated as required.
Can't say I was happy that Shutter Mechanism failed with way less than 30,000 operations but that's life.

If anyone else has a similar problem with, I'm guessing most, Nikon DSLR's hopefully my findings may help.
Thanks again to all who had input into trying to solve the problem.
Regards
Yormalda

I'm sorry to hear you needed a shutter replacement with relatively low actuations. :( At least you resolved the issue and can resume shooting with the camera. :)

Bikerbrent

Glad you got it fixed. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work. Hopefully you won't disappear for 6 years like last time.