Nikon D5100 lost all EFFECTS / SCENE settings

mrc80001

My D5100 has been working fine for the last 2 years. I used to turn the mode dial to SCENE or EFFECTS mode to take pictures in the several preset modes. All of a sudden recently, even after turning the mode dial to SCENE or EFFECTS, the camera would go into MANUAL mode. No matter where I turn the mode dial to, it never goes into SCENE or EFFECTS mode. Hence, I am unable to use several preset effects any more.

Here is what I have tried so far, but none has helped :
1. Firmware upgrade - camera is now running latest firmware
2. "MENU" + "i" reset - tried resetting the settings by these two buttons (as suggested in Nikon manual), still no help
3. Called Nikon support - tried calling several different times, but each time the suggestion is to take to the repair store. No one had a clue how to reset the D5100 to factory settings.

Overall, I have not found a way to get the camera back to factory settings. If anyone has seen such incident or has suggestion, please reply to this post.

Appreciate the help

dustydes

Hi

Cant help much but here is my 1p worth.

Quote: No one had a clue how to reset the D5100 to factory settings.

It should have reset to factory setting using the menu & info buttons, see link from Nikon.
I had same problem with reset the first time I tried it after auto focus stopped.
To get it to reset I first removed battery for a minute or two then replaced and did the reset.
Just in case remember to hold both buttons for a few seconds.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an...-to-reset-a-d-slr-to-factory-default-settings

Good luck

des

knallofant

Hi everyone!

First of all, sorry for pushing an old thread, but i have exactly the same problem as the author.
I tried the same steps as mrc80001, but nothing helps at all.
The reset ("MENU" + "i" reset) is just a "soft" reset of the Settings, not a reset like, lets say smartphone factory reset.

If anyone has another idea how to solve the problem, tell me and i will try it :)
This is my last chance before i send the camera to the Nikon support.

(i have tried to contact mrc80001 on 1. Jan already, but no reply at all)

If you tried the factory reset then you don't have any other options.

Now, did you really follow all the directions? Did you remove the battery and leave it out for a while? Like an hour at least just to make sure? Did you follow the directions exactly like the Nikon site said so?

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/an...-to-reset-a-d-slr-to-factory-default-settings

Now read the directions and start over and do it again.

D5100, D5200, D5300​
Menu button​
Information button​