Nikon D3200 vs D5100

Rick M

I think I would wait for that sensor to find it's way into a more advanced body. The HDR feature in the D5100 is a gimic, but auto-bracketing is not. Some more advanced features are worth the wait (in my opinion).

Rick M

DxOMark test gives the D3200 a higher overall score than the D5100 and D7000 (same sensor)! Second highest overall score for a APS-C sensor, question now is will it make it into a more advanced body?

AC016

Hi Folks,

I just got back from Hunts Photo in Melrose, MA. The staff were excellent, my compliments.

I've got a D40x right now and I took my 40mm Nikon micro prime lens with me. I shot 2 shots inside of Hunts with the same lens on three cameras, one macro shot and one distance shot within the store. I shot with the D40x, the D3200 and the D5100.

Much to my amazement the D3200 came out on top with the best clarity of the lot.

I then took my SD card home and did some additional pixel crawling and I could clearly see that the D3200 has by far the best resolution of the lot, about twice that of the D40x and about 25% better than the D5100. I felt that the macro shot looked quite similar in all three, however the distance shot clearly had way more resolution and clarity as i zoomed further in.

I expected the D5100 to come out on top, but it didn't. I think I'll be upgrading to the D3200.

My advise to anyone interesting in the D3200 is to do as I did, get a few shots from your old camera and few from the new one with the same lens and of the same subjects.

Does it have HDR like the 5100, no. Does it matter, I don't think so. Do you have all the additional options of the 5100, no, do you need them, you judge. At the end of the day I just was crisper/sharper pictures. I don't even care about it's HD movies, I just want to shoot photos.

Xwing

It's nice that you were able to do this in your local store. However, your whole point about resolution really does not make a good arguement about going with the 3200. Of course a 24MP has better resolution than a 16mp, esepcially when you are blowing up pictures or heavly cropping them. But seriously, how big do you want your pictures or how much do you really want to crop your pictures?? I have a hard thinking that you could tell the difference between untouched 4x6 or even 8x10 shot by both cameras. Your point about resolution - in my opinion - does not make the 3200 a better camera. More MP does not mean better camera or better pictures. 3200 is a great camera, but no one should buy it jsut because it has more MP.

AC016

@D5100Shooter
Higher MP may actually be useful for other users, especially the newbies. You'll know why at Nikon D3200 vs D5100 vs D3100 vs D7000 vs Canon T3i

Thanks for showing me Fozzy Bears eye brow, lol. This is only showing that if you heavly crop a photo, the resolution will be better, which i stated in my comment already. In all seriousness, i am not to sure that many people would crop a picture that way anyhow. Further, telephotos are not that expensive - $299 for a Nikon 55-200 VR. I get what the article is saying, but i think they are reaching a bit.

TedG954

Ansel Adams produced wonderful photos with cameras that were made of wood and cloth. His equipment could never compete with either the D5100, D3100, or the D3200, yet his results are far better than most of us could ever hope to produce. I think there should be less reliance on the equipment and more attention paid to the eye of the beholder.

If you are a technical photographer, then the pixel differences, etc, may make a difference in your career. But, if you are like me, you just want to create a photo that people will look at and say, "Wow."

And when that happens, I'm willing to bet my camera has very little to do with their expression.

jthornton86

HI, I am completely new to the DSLR world i used to love my old pentax as a kid and couldnt be kept out of the dark room. however, i have recently decided to get a DSLR as i still love photography and love nikon, had an F5 and still a lot of lenses. i was dead set on the D5100 think it looks perfect for me as not a novice but a bit rusty goood price good features, just seen the d3200 and i am now not so sure. is it worth paying extra for the d3200 when the prices of the d5100 you can get for around £400 with 18-55 lense?

AC016

HI, I am completely new to the DSLR world i used to love my old pentax as a kid and couldnt be kept out of the dark room. however, i have recently decided to get a DSLR as i still love photography and love nikon, had an F5 and still a lot of lenses. i was dead set on the D5100 think it looks perfect for me as not a novice but a bit rusty goood price good features, just seen the d3200 and i am now not so sure. is it worth paying extra for the d3200 when the prices of the d5100 you can get for around £400 with 18-55 lense?

Nikon D3200 vs D5100 - Our Analysis

Take a look at that. The only real benefit that the 3200 has, is that the pictures will have better resolution - well of course they will, it is a 24MP camera. Other than that, the 3200 does not really have any sort of wonderful advantage over the 5100.

westmill

Banned
Lets face it guys n gals.... is there a bad camera out there ? The quality of todays sensors is outstanding. It would make far more sense to choose a camera for its feature set and build these days. If you want higher image quality I would suggest spending money on better glass. :)

jthornton86

Nikon D3200 vs D5100 - Our Analysis

Take a look at that. The only real benefit that the 3200 has, is that the pictures will have better resolution - well of course they will, it is a 24MP camera. Other than that, the 3200 does not really have any sort of wonderful advantage over the 5100.

Thank you, apart from the extra MP which i doubt i need infact know i dont i think the 5100 is the better choice with the fact it just appears to do more weather gimmicks or not it appears to do a lot more for the money.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Lets face it guys n gals.... is there a bad camera out there ? The quality of todays sensors is outstanding. It would make far more sense to choose a camera for its feature set and build these days. If you want higher image quality I would suggest spending money on better glass. :)

I agree 200% with you on this one. Plus, some people will spend weeks shopping around, looking at reviews, specs, then they get a camera and will not spend time reading the user's manual, learning basic photography nor to learn rudiments of post processing.

I've been told once by a Nikon rep: "camera bodies come and go, but lenses stay".

evan

Banned
no AF motor, no deal. also, important features on both models require entering the menu system rather than direct body mounted controls. double no deal!

Mediaman09

That's exactly where I was a few weeks back and I decided on the 5100. I actually PREFER it over the 3200 becuase of -
  • articulating screen
  • deals (which) I put toward better glass
  • auto bracketing ( re future functionality)
  • 16MP over 24MP as 16 more was more that adequate and easier to manage file sizes
I absolutely love the camera and the quality and have no regrets.

But to each his own! Just make informed decisions. Really cant go wrong with either once you are informed on all the differences, and which ones matter to you more.

Mizo35

Dear Mr. Jdeg: Thanks for your efforts, I still confuse between of them, Which you recommend cause I am planning to pay one of them?
I still do not have clear information about the Video facility which is the best between of them?
I our Middle east the price different between of them not much (D3200 = $1027 while for D5100 the same cost but with additional free sigma 70-300 lenses.
will you help me back
thx
mizo

gillty

I agree 200% with you on this one. Plus, some people will spend weeks shopping around, looking at reviews, specs, then they get a camera and will not spend time reading the user's manual, learning basic photography nor to learn rudiments of post processing.

I've been told once by a Nikon rep: "camera bodies come and go, but lenses stay".

ok so your last sentence just summed me up perfectly
Im a dslr newbie about to jump in, and I have a cupboard full of 35mm Minolta lenses:stupid:
so huge newbie alert, Evan mentions no AF motor no deal
by that do I assume that on the 3200 the AF motor is in the lens???
if so do you need to buy different nikon lenses according to the model its to be used on???

Cowboybillybob1

Ansel Adams produced wonderful photos with cameras that were made of wood and cloth. His equipment could never compete with either the D5100, D3100, or the D3200, yet his results are far better than most of us could ever hope to produce. I think there should be less reliance on the equipment and more attention paid to the eye of the beholder.

If you are a technical photographer, then the pixel differences, etc, may make a difference in your career. But, if you are like me, you just want to create a photo that people will look at and say, "Wow."

And when that happens, I'm willing to bet my camera has very little to do with their expression.

You Rock!!!

I have stated in this this thread that I am a newbie to DSLR or any Photo stuff but have played music on guitar for over 40 years. Your comments are so true in the music field as well. It's what is inside and the vision that counts.

Amazing how regardless of your chosen art it transends the tools you use.

I am inspired by your post.