Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4 +1.4TC, or...

aroy

That might be appropriate for a DX but once you start birding with an FX, you hardly ever use the shorter ranges of a tele-zoom. I don't think I've shot 2% of my bird-shots with anything below 400mm using the Tam 150-600mm.

If you buy the 200-500mm to shoot birds on an FX, you're not as much looking for a versatile zoom as you're looking for a cheap 500mm.

Yes the 500mm F5.6 is definitely a cheaper option. Either way you are getting either a 420mm F5.6 or a 200mm-500mm F5.6. As I noted, if the IQ is comparable then the 200-500 gives you a slight advantage over fixed focal length.

Blacktop

Well hurry up i need to see your results.

It's going to be a few. I will have it before going down to Florida in February to visit with the gang at the Circle Bar-B-Q Ranch,or at least I have rented one before hand. If I rent one too soon, I may just like it too much to be able to control myself and spend money that I don't have.

Blacktop

That might be appropriate for a DX but once you start birding with an FX, you hardly ever use the shorter ranges of a tele-zoom. I don't think I've shot 2% of my bird-shots with anything below 400mm using the Tam 150-600mm.

If you buy the 200-500mm to shoot birds on an FX, you're not as much looking for a versatile zoom as you're looking for a cheap 500mm.

It would be used mostly on the D7100, which is the reason I got my old D7100 back. That doesn't mean that I would never have it on the D750. Oh no! Things will be compared.:cool:

mikew_RIP

Been reading a interesting conclusion from the owner of a Tamron 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500,he states that at 500mm in real use situations he can discern no difference between them,@ 600mm stopped down to F8 the Tamron is very close to the Nikons 500mm results,no idea what close is but thought i would throw it in.

salukfan111

Been reading a interesting conclusion from the owner of a Tamron 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500,he states that at 500mm in real use situations he can discern no difference between them,@ 600mm stopped down to F8 the Tamron is very close to the Nikons 500mm results,no idea what close is but thought i would throw it in.
I thought the ability to use TC with Nikon was the big sell point. I've lost interest in superzooms now I have a TC-16a for my long primes so I'm not stirring here. The 200-500 owners seem eerily silent on this sort of stuff.

singlerosa_RIP

I'm silent because I've never owned a big zoom. First used it on my 750 and wanted more reach. Wasn't happy with it on my D7K, compared to the 750, so I bought a 7200. Guess I went the expensive tele convertor route. The weather has been crappy here in St. Louis, so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to use it, but I think the combo will do well.

JFS_0312.jpg