NIkon 35mm f2.0 D

Lamkarthess

Hi guys,

I'm thinking seriously to buy this lens for my D7000
I would like to read your comments on why you would choose this lens.
What are the advantages compared to 35mm 1.8 G (I'm not moving to FX camera)?
What are the differences in optics (better glass than G or not)?
Thank you

Last edited:

jrleo33

I do own and use the Nikkor 35mm F/2 on my D600, in both FX and DX mode. The lens is tack sharp, and on your D7000 will crop out at about a 50mm. I believe your 7000 has a screw drive needed to focus a D lens, double check that. The D lens has no internal focus motor, so there is very little that can wrong with it, compared to a G. The D becomes a very good street lens on the 7000, and will hold its value.

Daveross

I have the 35mm F2 & use it on my Nikon Df, it is good optically & very good around f2.8 to f5.6 I mainly use it for street photography when I want a smaller lens than my 35mm f1.4. Jrleo33 makes a valid point, make sure the D7000 has the required screw drive as this lens has no internal focus. I have also owned the 35mm f1.8G lens & this is also a very good lens sharp & a little lighter. Probably focuses a little faster. Optically both are quite good but I think the G lens might just have the edge being of newer design.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have the 35mm F2 & use it on my Nikon Df, it is good optically & very good around f2.8 to f5.6 I mainly use it for street photography when I want a smaller lens than my 35mm f1.4. Jrleo33 makes a valid point, make sure the D7000 has the required screw drive as this lens has no internal focus. I have also owned the 35mm f1.8G lens & this is also a very good lens sharp & a little lighter. Probably focuses a little faster. Optically both are quite good but I think the G lens might just have the edge being of newer design.

I'm afraid the new 1.8 G is going to be quite larger and heavier than the older D. I have an even older Ais that I like very much, not so for it's optical qualities, but for it's weight and size. I have the 28 Af D and I don't find it sharp enough for my taste at wider apertures.

kluisi

The D7000 does have the focus motor. One of the reasons I bought it a couple years ago.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Daveross

When I owned the 35mm f1.8 I personally didn't find it that much larger or heavier than the 35mm f2. Optically it is very good & focus is faster than the F2 if this is important.

bigal1000

I do own and use the Nikkor 35mm F/2 on my D600, in both FX and DX mode. The lens is tack sharp, and on your D7000 will crop out at about a 50mm. I believe your 7000 has a screw drive needed to focus a D lens, double check that. The D lens has no internal focus motor, so there is very little that can wrong with it, compared to a G. The D becomes a very good street lens on the 7000, and will hold its value.

That lens would become a 42mm on a Nikon D7000

I use it constantly on my D780. Very good, little prime.

Nikon 35 f-2, AF-D.jpg