nikkor 50 f/1.8g

hoangtien1211

I'm new, should I get 50mm 1.8 or 35mm 1.8?
I am going to use kit lens 18-55 for versatility in daylight, and 1 of those 2 prime lenses for low light, indoor.
shoot wide, family, people for now.
Some insight about what I should look for in the future would be nice too!!
Thanks

BackdoorArts

Indoors the 50mm on a D5100 probably won't be "wide" enough. Take a look at what you can grab at various stages with your kit lens and determine what focal length would be most appropriate for the type of indoor, low light use you're looking for and go with that. I suspect the 35mm would work better, or perhaps a 28mm 1.8, though that may be out of your price range.

RockyNH_RIP

Indoors the 50mm on a D5100 probably won't be "wide" enough.

I agree with Jake.. I have both (50 & 35). I really like my 50 and use it for outdoor portraits, stills, Industrial etc. Indoors, I often cannot get back far enough for some stills and portraits (depending on your house). Mine is not small but the rooms are just not big enough and this is where the 35 comes in. I would suggest the 35 for indoors unless you have a very large room to set up in.

I did what Jake suggested, shot a bit with the kit lens and then went back and looked at what focal length I was using...

Pat in NH

§am

Houses in the UK are generally smaller than those of our counterparts across the pond.
I sometimes find my 50mm is just not wide enough for those indoor shots and having to back up a little more than I would like to.

I played around with my 'kit' lens at ~28 vs 50mm and 35 vs 50mm, and in an ideal world full of limitless money I'd probably get both the 28mm & the 35mm, but alas for now, I'm trying to save up for the 28mm.