Nikkor 10-24 or Tokina 11-16?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I've used my 11-16 too for sunsets. I haven't had any problems with it other than just learning how to shoot with it. It does have a little bit of a learning curve as do any of the wide lenses.

lokatz

Felisek made the call and is hopefully happy with it. Enjoy shooting!

Please allow me to add my two cents, though: I was the proud owner of a Tokina 11-16 for many years and took a lot of great shots with it. A few months ago, I switched to Tokina's 12-28 and am even happier, both for the wider range and the better sharpness. ColorFoto, a German magazine that in my view does the best job of any German or English speaking photo mag I am aware of, because of its thorough and repetitive test process, gave the 11-16 (versions I or II scored the same) an IQ score of 50.5 points. Nikon's 10-24 received 54.5. Tokina's 12-28 got 61. (All of these tested on D7100. ) The only wide angle lens to beat this was the Nikon 14-24, with an impressive 68.5 points (but a weight and price point that take it out for me).

My experience is exactly the same: the Tokina 12-28 beats the 11-16 very clearly in image quality (and convenience - it stays on the camera a lot longer), so I assume it also beats the Nikon 10-24 by a significant margin.

As far as that "10mm beats 12mm" argument goes, even at 11mm I went for panoramas every so often, using Microsoft's fantastic (and free) ICE software to stitch them together, because the lens wasn't nearly wide enough. In situations where a 12mm focal length is not enough, just overlap multiple shots and you won't ever find yourself limited by width.

Last edited:

lokatz

Glad you're happy with it. The IQ score it received is the same as the Tokina 11-16 (50.5 points). Just serves to show that none of the lenses we're discussing here are really bad.