Niikon Gold Boxes: Keep em or get rid of them?

Do you keep the original camera/lens and flash boxes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carguy

I keep mine. Two reasons, as mentioned above, there is a market for good, used empty boxes.
The reason for that is used equipment tends to get a little more money with the box than not.

Bill16

I've kept my boxes, when they came with them. But I'm not that careful with the bags dividers and smaller boxes inside. I don't know why I have kept them so far, since I don't sell anything. Hmmm I'll have to give it some thought about throwing them out I guess.
I never buy anything with the thought of resale, though I have no issues with trading for other stuff I need more when I have a friend who is interested. Or sometimes a give stuff to someone who can use and enjoy it. :D

southwestsam

I like to keep mine 'just in case'.

i was pissed when the Currys "security" sticker on my 70-300 box ripped off a massive section of the print!! Nice big white patch on the side.

Brian

I saved the Silver Box from the Nikkormat FT2.

Gold boxes- F2a.

Do not store lenses in styrofoam containers. The styrofoam outgasses, and will fog the lens. Trust me on this one.

MrF

I kept the boxes to my big items for a while. I can't for the life of me think of where they are now though, so I imagine that they got thrown into the recycling during the move from CA to VA.

Geoffc

I keep them for re-sale value ( debatable) but mainly for posting. If items need repairing or selling I like to post them in the packing Nikon trusts.

I've just sold a D300, D300s and a 70-300vr. I sold to a great company called MPB in the uk who pay a fair price and treat you fairly. The boxes didn't affect the price but helped protect the items in the post.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I keep them for re-sale value ( debatable) but mainly for posting. If items need repairing or selling I like to post them in the packing Nikon trusts.

I've just sold a D300, D300s and a 70-300vr. I sold to a great company called MPB in the uk who pay a fair price and treat you fairly. The boxes didn't affect the price but helped protect the items in the post.

I think if you are selling a lens and advertise the condition and the other accessories that comes with it, if the demand is there and priced reasonably, people will buy it even without the box. This is just based on my personal experience who have been this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I saved the Silver Box from the Nikkormat FT2.

Gold boxes- F2a.

Do not store lenses in styrofoam containers. The styrofoam outgasses, and will fog the lens. Trust me on this one.

Brian - funny you mentioned that Nikkor boxes originally came in Silver boxes.

Nikon_classic_lenses.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Alternately, the boxes are handy to have if you need to ship equipment for repair.

When I sent my D600 in for repair, it was suggested NOT to include the original box because the box wouldn't be returned when the camera was shipped back. Instead, I securely wrapped my D600 in bubble wrap them added protective padding to the remainder of the shipping box.

Geoffc

When I sent my D600 in for repair, it was suggested NOT to include the original box because the box wouldn't be returned when the camera was shipped back. Instead, I securely wrapped my D600 in bubble wrap them added protective padding to the remainder of the shipping box.

Interesting, I sent my D800, 70-200vrii and TC-20e into Nikon uk all in the original boxes. I would argue that it's the best way to send them as they have pre-formed inserts. I suppose you have to go with the local rules.

Sandpatch

Oh, that's interesting -- I didn't know that. It's kind of funny that you mention that because when I sent my D-5100 in for repair, I was afraid of losing my box, so kept it and double packed the camera (corrugated box within a corrugated box). I was a little perturbed that Nikon's packing work for the return trip seemed barely sufficient -- just a flimsy thin-wall box with my camera bubble-wrapped within.

stmv

laughs,, and I thought I had the Gold Box sickess,, but,,, laughs,,, d80, d200, d700, d800, D3s, and a D4,,, nice set of cameras,, and you have not sold any of these bodies yet? I only save the boxes for things I might resell some day.

Chito

Thanks to this thread. Now I've got something to show my wife when she asks me about the boxes. I can tell her, "See babe, it's just a normal thing people do. And there are really good reasons to keep them." :D

Sambr

laughs,, and I thought I had the Gold Box sickess,, but,,, laughs,,, d80, d200, d700, d800, D3s, and a D4,,, nice set of cameras,, and you have not sold any of these bodies yet? I only save the boxes for things I might resell some day.
All except the D3s - it was destroyed in courier incident D4 replaced it. However I am in the process of buying another. I very seldom sell my gear.