Nifty fifty or a trusty thirty-five?

Eye-level

Banned
I'd advise taking a trip down highway 66 and when you get close to Sapulpa call me we'll put you up in the Mayo and I'll take you around...you can come see Indian Territory!

Bring all of your sh!t with you you'll need it! LOL

§am

The 50mm f/1.8G is a lovely lens. I've had it less time than my 'kit' lens, and I've taken almost as many shots with it as I have that.

However, if your budget can stretch, look into the 28mm too - looks like a lovely lens to compliment the 50mm

Just-Clayton

The 50mm I use as a close up portrait shot. Not good for indoor group shots have to stand back 10+ ft to get group in.. As for the 35 I use it to walk around with for some landscape and group shots. For my family I have to use the 18-55. It's not easy to put 50+ people in a 35mm without standing way back.

funfortehfun

I'd like to keep the budget within $250 or lower, so... the 28mm is ruled out XD
What do you guys mean by "portrait"? I mean, I just want an all-rounder, but the general consensus here so far is that 50mm is for portraits and 35mm DX for landscape and indoors.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd like to keep the budget within $250 or lower, so... the 28mm is ruled out XD
What do you guys mean by "portrait"? I mean, I just want an all-rounder, but the general consensus here so far is that 50mm is for portraits and 35mm DX for landscape and indoors.

Portrait is usually a head and shoulder shot of a person.

funfortehfun

OK, thanks guys. I'll probably go with the 35mm DX, because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be moving to FX anytime soon; however, that doesn't mean I won't. If I ever somehow do, I'll probably have the money to buy a 50mm anyways.

Photo Joe

OK, thanks guys. I'll probably go with the 35mm DX, because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be moving to FX anytime soon; however, that doesn't mean I won't. If I ever somehow do, I'll probably have the money to buy a 50mm anyways.

I had the same decision to make a few months back and also decided to go with the 35mm DX lens. I love it and it stays on my D7000 the majority of the time. However, I recently came across a used 50mm 1.8 af-d for $85 and couldn't pass it up. So if you ever decide you want a 50mm, you could always go that route and save money.

Rexer John

Just bought the 35mm DX prime yesterday, only taken some test pics but very happy with it.
I tried a few shots with the kit lens at 50mm and then at 35mm to decide.
My old film camera had a 50mm prime and I loved it so the 35mm DX puts me in the same zone.

mobi

Glad I found this thread! I was in same dilemma between 35 and 50 for my D3100.

Now it seems 35 mm F/1.8 is the clear choice for me :)

JDFlood

Given what you have said, I think the 35mm. The reason, depth of field... It is significantly better. Unless you are shooting people (head shots). The 35mm as a normal lens for street photography, architecture, and low light is better... Low light because you get a way better depth of field when it is wide open. I do landscapes, street, architecture, and low light... I am ashamed to realize how long it took me to figure out to switch from 50mm to 35mm. Also, last decade I decided zooms were finally good enough to use... But have gone back to primes except for travel because there is a real pitfall in making you lazy. The rule for me is pick the focal length for the desired depth of field, and it becomes so easy to zoom instead of walking to frame correctly I screw up the photos much of the time ( I don't do sports). Oh ya, and my neck was killing me from carrying around heavy zooms. So I think you are on the right path and asking the right questions. JD

stmv

when you shoot prime,, you don't think one lens, you think range..
1 wide,
1 mid/macro
1 mid tele/macro
1 tele

and then you go further and fill in the gaps, that is part of the tools when you choose a DSLR and want every ounce of potential out of the gear.

Dooku77

I have the 35mm f1.8 and I absolutely love the lens. Now I want the 50mm f1.8. I'm going to try an experiment this year. I'm going to try and use nothing but prime lenses. I don't shoot weddings or wildlife so I don't need the distance.