Next Time You Lament Not Having A Piece Of Equipment

oldhippy

My background with Cuba, goes back to July of 1959, US Navy at the time. My ship spotted a convoy of Russian ships headed into Cuba. We spent a week or two in the area. Someone in our government issued an order that we stand off of Havana Cuba. Big guns loaded and ready to fire. 3 days we keep this ready. Just as it came, the orders were receded. I don't think I could live with the fact, had we fired into a civilian population. At least not without a troubled mind. This was years before the bay of pigs. My ship was the USS Ross. DD 563. After that experience I have tried to understand what is going on in Cuba. Just trying to explain my point of view. Thanks. Ed
sorry if I get to political.

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

My background with Cuba, goes back to July of 1959, US Navy at the time. My ship spotted a convoy of Russian ships headed into Cuba. We spent a week or two in the area. Someone in our government issued an order that we stand off of Havana Cuba. Big guns loaded and ready to fire. 3 days we keep this ready. Just as it came, the orders were receded. I don't think I could live with the fact, had we fired into a civilian population. At least not without a troubled mind. This was years before the bay of pigs. My ship was the USS Ross. DD 563. After that experience I have tried to understand what is going on in Cuba. Just trying to explain my point of view. Thanks. Ed
sorry if I get to political.

Great anecdote, Ed! Thanks for the history lesson.