Newbie in Maryland without a Nikon (yet)

PastorDATM

seeing as well like to spend other peoples hard earned money, for an extra $300 have you looked at the D7200?

Yes, I have looked at the D7200. I've also looked at ALL models albeit at some point I have to consider previously owned bodies due to cost. But mainly I have to match the body to my needs. Dave

[edit] BTW, with the new D7500, is the D7200 still available?

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Needa

Challenge Team
Welcome. Many here including myself have purchased units refurbished by Nikon. Most were satisfied with the purchase.

PastorDATM

So where in MD? If you want to session sometime I'd be happy to let you try my 600 and Df to help you figure what you want to get yourself. I'd personally, and depending on budget, actually suggest 71/7200 or Df for all the right reasons.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. Dave

jc32750

For me I traveled from Nikon FE, D40, D5100, D7200, D500. I really like the D500.

I have for my wife a Sony a6000.

Friend BIUGHT the Fujifilm and he loves it.

So many good cameras. Hard choice. But if you want a Nikon D500 is the one to buy. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PastorDATM

For me I traveled from Nikon FE, D40, D5100, D7200, D500. I really like the D500.

I have for my wife a Sony a6000.

Friend BIUGHT the Fujifilm and he loves it.

So many good cameras. Hard choice. But if you want a Nikon D500 is the one to buy. JMO

Thanks for your informative post. The D500 is really nice but at an average street value of $1,750 (body only), I would have to find a used one or possibly a refurbished body. Cheers... Dave

Thanks for the refurb link on a D7100. That is definitely a possibility to have money for nice glass like you said. Dave

I bought a refurb D7000 and a few refurbished lenses from them and they were all like new and did have a one year warranty so I felt safe buying from them.

PastorDATM

Welcome to the forum. Two questions. First what is you budget? Second is what kind of photography don't you want to do?

Hi Don. I'm back to take a stab at your questions.

Budget for the body is $1K and down but willing to consider previously owned and Nikon refurbished for upper end models. The less I spend here the more I'll have for glass and other accessories.

What don't I want to shoot: underwater, microscopic, solar, etc. (things that require specialized body, lenses, or both)

What do I want to shoot: my world as I see it from a wheelchair which could be any subject matter that catches my eye. I want to be prepared for just about anything and I want the camera to do most of the work on the fly but allowing me to override settings manually when desired.

As you can see, I want a very flexible camera system that doesn't require five college degrees to understand the camera's functions. I'm coming from a 35mm SLR (Minolta SRT-102) and this will be my first and probably last DSLR. I consider myself an amateur photographer but I am very comfortable shooting full manual with a light meter as well as knowing my way around a darkroom. Of course with a DSLR, I'll have to build a new darkroom with some sort of fancy software suite. LOL

Cheers! Dave

Hi Don. I'm back to take a stab at your questions.

Budget for the body is $1K and down but willing to consider previously owned and Nikon refurbished for upper end models. The less I spend here the more I'll have for glass and other accessories.

What don't I want to shoot: underwater, microscopic, solar, etc. (things that require specialized body, lenses, or both)

What do I want to shoot: my world as I see it from a wheelchair which could be any subject matter that catches my eye. I want to be prepared for just about anything and I want the camera to do most of the work on the fly but allowing me to override settings manually when desired.

As you can see, I want a very flexible camera system that doesn't require five college degrees to understand the camera's functions. I'm coming from a 35mm SLR (Minolta SRT-102) and this will be my first and probably last DSLR. I consider myself an amateur photographer but I am very comfortable shooting full manual with a light meter as well as knowing my way around a darkroom. Of course with a DSLR, I'll have to build a new darkroom with some sort of fancy software suite. LOL

Cheers! Dave

A refurbished D7100 and a 18-140 zoom to start with. Gives you lots of flexibility with good results. I have shot from a wheelchair and know the limitations. This combo hits most of the buttons you mentioned and keeps you under that budget

PastorDATM

A refurbished D7100 and a 18-140 zoom to start with. Gives you lots of flexibility with good results. I have shot from a wheelchair and know the limitations. This combo hits most of the buttons you mentioned and keeps you under that budget

Any words of wisdom when shopping for a refurbished body? Does a Nikon record the number of frames shot or some measure of mileage that cannot be reset to tell how "used" the body is? What does one look for since one is buying it sight unseen? What are the pitfalls of a refurbished D7100 versus a new-in-box D5600? Is a Nikon like a Mercedes engine in that it runs "forever" if one keeps it properly maintained? Gosh, I have a gazillion questions... TIA to anybody with answers! Dave

Danno

Any words of wisdom when shopping for a refurbished body? Does a Nikon record the number of frames shot or some measure of mileage that cannot be reset to tell how "used" the body is? What does one look for since one is buying it sight unseen? What are the pitfalls of a refurbished D7100 versus a new-in-box D5600? Is a Nikon like a Mercedes engine in that it runs "forever" if one keeps it properly maintained? Gosh, I have a gazillion questions... TIA to anybody with answers! Dave
I bought a refurbished D7200 18 months ago from Niki with a 90 day warrenty. They do not list the actuations, but it is easy to check. You can also by refurbished from Adorama and a couple other place that offer extended warranty. I love the the D7100 and 7200 camera bodies. Because you have more direct setting control without going into the menus. I jumped from a D3200 to the D7200 and I loved my D3200 but once I got use to it the D700 it was much easier to use.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Bikerbrent

A refurbished D7100 or D7200 would be a great choice. If you can swing the few extra dollars, I would vote for the D7200 over the D7100 since I would never bother to upgrade from a D7100 to a D7200. Nor would I upgrade either camera for a D7500, which I believe is a crippled camera. I would only consider a D500 over the D7200 if I was almost exclusively into sports or action. The bang for the buck is NOT there with either the D7500 or D500.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

My best advice would be sure any refurb' you're looking at is a FACTORY refurb. Factory refurbs are inspected and tested by Nikon and meet original specs. They'll have minimal to no use, will be in mint or near-mint condition and be in brand-new operating condition. I'd suggest you buy from known-reliable sources such as Nikon themselves, B&H, Adorama or Cameta. Nikon is selling a refurbished D7100 (body only) right now for $559 for instance.

Last edited:

THis is the place I have bought refurbished bodies and lenses. The give a 1 year warranty on their refurbished gear I trust them

Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty
[FONT=&quot] $599.00[/FONT]

It does not look like the have any 18-140 zooms in refurb right now

PastorDATM

Briefly, what are the main differences between a D7100 and a D7200 body? It's a little hard to tell just casually looking at the specifications. TIA! Dave