Newbie here

jay_dean

A big thanks for taking the time to reply,
I have taken onboard what you have said. I have been in Auto mode with my present and past Cameras, my photos have been ok but they are still basically snaps, so it's time to change.
Bob
Yes, get out of auto! A big first step, but a crucial one. The camera is making all the decisions for you, which is fine for a p & s or a camera phone, but is only using a fraction of the cameras potential. Look into the Exposure Triangle, put the camera in M mode and experiment how one affects the other. I'm not saying use M mode in the real world (i know this might seem daunting), but you'll gain that understanding of what they do. There are always the other exposure settings you might feel more comfortable with, but get out of Auto. But, you're probably already on it:encouragement:

Lawrence

Welcome aboard Bob and although I don't live in the UK I think I would like to thank all firefighters world wide through thanking you for the sterling service you give in what are dangerous circumstances.
Get shooting. That shutter won't burn. :)

fotojack

I have also considered local camera clubs but they seem to have experienced photographers and having me snapping at their heels perhaps not the best idea lol.

Bob

Actually, Bob, that would be the best way for you to learn more about photography. Most photographers like to help newcomers. And not all of the club members are experienced. That's why they joined the club in the first place....to learn from others and to bounce ideas off of. I would seriously consider joining a photography club in your area.

By the way, Bob. Did you know that if you say your name backwards, it will sound the same? :)

Welcome to the forum, Bob. :)

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

FAQ

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download | Nikon Knowledgebase
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Become a Contributing Member

fireguy1978

Many thanks for the reply and advice.
I totally understand what you are saying but my local camera clubs in my area have posted diaries for the year and it mostly consists of competitions,that being the case within the weekly meetings do they have time to enlighten me lol! but I will perhaps attend one of these clubs and see if it fits so to speak.

By the way glad my name is not ESRA then lol!

thanks again
Bob