NEWBIE... Camera lense wich one and why

DrakeHave

Hello guys...

First of anything I I'm a newbie here at all about DSLR cameras but i always wanted one so finally got one.

So when i got my nikon d5300 for my first camera it came whit a 18-140mm lense, i seen is a really good lens but my question is. Do i need to get an 18-55mm lens?.

My question is if i need that lens because i I'm a newbie on this, so the most of the time I'll be taking pictures from different things and different ways so that's why i was thinking maybe will be better get this smaller lens.

But what do you guys recommend me, i should just start learning whit the 18-140mm and keep going with this one or i should get the 18-140mm?

My question is, do i really need the 18-55mm?

Thanks for all.

(Sorry for the confusing i still learning English)

BF Hammer

Quick answer: No.

Reason: You already have that zoom range covered. The 18-55mm might be a little bit nicer on optical quality, but not really enough to justify buying it and having as a 2nd lens.

Me, I would consider getting a used 35mm f/1.8G lens to use in indoor family or event situations. It is within your existing zoom range but that lens offers some real benefit using with less light available.

An external flash is something else to consider. Pop up flashes are kind of weak normally for work other than filling in some shadows in a bright setting.

DrakeHave

Quick answer: No.

Reason: You already have that zoom range covered. The 18-55mm might be a little bit nicer on optical quality, but not really enough to justify buying it and having as a 2nd lens.

Me, I would consider getting a used 35mm f/1.8G lens to use in indoor family or event situations. It is within your existing zoom range but that lens offers some real benefit using with less light available.

An external flash is something else to consider. Pop up flashes are kind of weak normally for work other than filling in some shadows in a bright setting.
That's solve my questions about the lens, thank you, so just an other question here, do i did good getting nikon d5300 for my first camera i got it use so kinda looking someone with more experience on this tell me how good or bad decision i did

Clovishound

I agree that I wouldn't look to adding the 18-55. As to where to go next with lenses, that depends on what type of photography you are drawn to. At this point, you may well not know. For most a tele zoom would be the logical choice. There are a couple 70-300 zooms that are decent lenses and will cover all the way out to long enough for decent wildlife photography on a crop frame camera. If you don't need that much reach, the 18-140 you have may well be all you need for a while. Lenses are generally a longer term investment that camera bodies. I would chose more carefully, and opt for better quality on a lens than a camera.

As to whether you did good with the D5300, I am a firm believer in starting off with something affordable, but reasonably capable, until you learn enough to know what you need, and can afford. As long as it is in decent shape, I would think the D5300 should fit the bill nicely.

DrakeHave

I agree that I wouldn't look to adding the 18-55. As to where to go next with lenses, that depends on what type of photography you are drawn to. At this point, you may well not know. For most a tele zoom would be the logical choice. There are a couple 70-300 zooms that are decent lenses and will cover all the way out to long enough for decent wildlife photography on a crop frame camera. If you don't need that much reach, the 18-140 you have may well be all you need for a while. Lenses are generally a longer term investment that camera bodies. I would chose more carefully, and opt for better quality on a lens than a camera.

As to whether you did good with the D5300, I am a firm believer in starting off with something affordable, but reasonably capable, until you learn enough to know what you need, and can afford. As long as it is in decent shape, I would think the D5300 should fit the bill nicely.
Thank you so much, i was kinda afraid getting this camera because i don't know how much i will be using it and for what but always wanted one, so now i happy to see i did a good choise.

So now just neet to practice and learn how to use it properly, kinda excited to start using it.

Thanks.

BF Hammer

My biggest advice would have to be learn with what you have and be prepared to ditch everything someday down the road for the upgrade. As you learn you will naturally also figure out what you want to have later to make your style of photography better. This kind of gets difficult to say DSLR is an investment into a system when all the camera companies are jumping into mirrorless systems with both feet currently. Good time for deals on the old gear though. And it all works well still.

DrakeHave

Appreciate the advice, but i pretty sure i will not go professionally on photography, i just like to take pictures and try to find some art on the nature or on the simplicity of life.