New to cameras with a

Danno

Congratulations @Fastfirstgen. Sounds like you got a good deal. That definitely is a great kit for your wife to start with. You might add a 3rd party handbook from Amazon to help her learn about all that it offers. I like David D. Bush handbooks but there are several. Again congratulations.

Fastfirstgen

Dang, I thought I updated this. Well the camera inspection went great. The fella that looked it over said the guy was meticulous and everything in the package looks new aside from 3 dust spots on the sensor. He told me to bring it in once she's starts using it for a cleaning. I'm glad I happened upon this deal and I hope my old lady really takes off with this hobby. I looked at some other lenses and man some of them are expensive as all get put. The 50mm will definitely be a purchase in the near future. She loves portraits with the background blurred. The guy also threw in a D711 field guy that I believe is written by a J. Dennis Thomas. I started to read it but it's like a foreign language to me. Anyhow, I'm sure she'll be on here once she gets this rig for Christmas with plenty of questions. Again, thanks for the help and all the tips y'all. God love the internet for the good folks on it and the information you can obtain. Take 'em easy.

nickt

Consider the 35mm lens. I'm not saying its better than the 50, but decide which is better for you guys. People with full frame cameras tend to get the 50mm. People with crop sensors like the d7100 tend to get the 35mm. 50mm can give your wife good portrait results but it could also give her problems in a small room. She may need to back up too much to get a group shot. So think about it. I would say wait until you use your 18-105 to see if a 35 or 50 is better for your needs.
Also, your wife and possibly you should learn the basics of exposure. This is very important to being happy with the camera. Understanding exposure first will make the owner's manual much more clear. The field guide might cover the topic.
Here are some links that will help:
Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8T94sdiNjc
I can't emphasize enough how much learning exposure basics will help. Compare it to reading your car owner's manual but not knowing what driving even is. The camera manuals assume you know some basics. They tell you about all the great convenience tools in the camera to help you achieve a good exposure. But learning those tools will make little sense if you don't learn the 'why' part first.