New SONY a9

Fred Kingston

I'm wondering if Nikon saw the A9 coming, and saw the DL as too little too late... and that's why they killed that... in which case, I'm anxious to see what their response is going to be...

mikew_RIP

I'm wondering if Nikon saw the A9 coming, and saw the DL as too little too late... and that's why they killed that... in which case, I'm anxious to see what their response is going to be...

I did wonder at the time if they felt the spec they had in the DL needed to be in a different camera it was supposed to be capable of 20fps with caf.

RocketCowboy

I fear their response is going to be two years too late. Specifically, they only had the DL, saw where it was going to fall, and scrapped it to go back to the design board. I don't think they had another response in the works yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daz

I dont get what is so difficult for them ... Dont worry about reducing size, just slap a mirrorless sensor in something like the D7xxx series and call is a D9xxx or an M1xxx

Keep all as it is, same lenses, same autofocus motor, same housing for a big hogh capacity battery which had been the gripe with Mirrorless so far.

All the buttone are there, stick an EVF in the viewfinder and you have a mirrorless that can compete with Sony for little money ...

Nathan Lanni

This going to sound like a strange comparison, but I see it sort of like Amazon vs the retail brick and mortar sector. You see it every day - Amazon is putting malls out of business across the nation and company exec's who cut their teeth in old school retail can't seem to properly react or adapt to the shift in how it works now.

There's another aspect and that's how you price technology and what technologies you include in a product package. At the manufacturing level things like EVF, USB3, wifi, gps, a network port, etc., cost few $'s. But major manufacturing companies spend huge amounts of time thinking about what features to include, or not, what competitors are offering; if a $10 feature could gain a slight advantage over a competitor's product and another $100 at retail.

Then some company like Apple, Amazon, Sony step in and throw away the old playbook. Sony is saying, "What is it you want? You got it - and by comparison - cheap." Not to say these offerings are inexpensive…

FWIW

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

From my perspective, I see the mirrorless battle being won not by Sony but by Fuji, Oly, and Sony....albeit, not necessarily in that order. The only thing missing from the mirrorless camp is legacy glass. But to Sony, that's not going to stunt their growth. You see, the Sony A series can use just about ANY glass with an adapter or two.
Sony's latest invention that is silent, and with no blackout (a real advantage) is a game changer. It proves once again that mirrorless is here to stay and they plan on leading that innovation. You see, they already put IBIS into their cameras as far back as the A7II models. As far as full frame mirrorless, Sony is the leader. They will continue to lead the pack as they listen to what the photographers want in a camera, and damned if Sony doesn't deliver the goods.
Canon, Nikon, and the rest of the mfgr's. will have to either jump on board the bandwagon of development of their own ff mirrorless systems, or go the way of Kodak, namely bankrupt. Nikon, especially, should have been first out of the gate with their killer series of mirrorless bodies. Instead, it seems like Nikon just developed their mirrorless system as an afterthought, or more descriptive...a 'toy' to satisfy a fad. Sony took it many steps further, showing that they were in it for the long haul with their mirrorless systems. They have also established that they have some great glass too. Sony's glass is not just about their partnership with Zeiss. They have established that they were more than ready to manufacture damn good glass under the Sony banner. I'm not some Sony fanboy that just jumped on the bandwagon. Nope, I saw the images that Sony's NEX line was producing, and the size of the cameras, and I was blown away by those images, which proved to me that Sony already had the best sensors on the market.
I'd love to see Nikon get off their flaccid butts and knock us on our butts with a new system that could utilize their predominant inventory of great glass, AND to raise up some even more technological breakthroughs in a serious mirrorless campaign. That would be the ideal situation. That would keep our buyers costs down as they seriously compete with Olympus, Fuji, Sony, and others. Oh, and did I mention that Sony developed a new battery that can take a pro level of shots in a session?
In short, I've rambled enough, but I want to see Sony have serious competition in full frame mirrorless systems. I think it's now proven it's capabilities with the A9. Competition is healthy for everyone and especially to motivate the engineers to come up with spectacular systems. Enough said. What do you think?