New off camera flash setup on the way

carguy

I use white 90% of the time (mostly product photography) but also have black, light/dark blue, red, tan and yellow for certain circumstances.

The problem I discovered with buying bulk fabric from a retail store is no edge hems/crimps and even more important no rod pocket for a backdrop stand. Unless you have seamstress services available I recommend buying any backdrop from a supplier who has them ready to go on your backdrop stand, ~$20/ea on eBay.

To avoid developing intense hatred of steam irons, get innovative about where to store your backdrop(s) when not in use. I use cheap garment racks and then cover them with old sheets to avoid dust, etc.

Don't forget clamps. They are handy.

Great tips thanks. While I can see where a space to slip the support rod through the fabric would be nice, is there an issue using only clamps to hold the backdrop to the support rod?

b6d6fd35-095b-4098-b194-63ee60c4133a_300.jpg

Rick M

I got a few inexpensive ($25-$35) 10x12 cotton/polyester backgrounds from amazon. I like black the best. If you use clamps, distance and DoF you won't have to worry about wrinkles too much.

riverside

Great tips thanks. While I can see where a space to slip the support rod through the fabric would be nice, is there an issue using only clamps to hold the backdrop to the support rod?

No. It does take considerably more time wrestling with a 10' piece of material for setup without the rod pocket. I use clamps to stretch all backdrops.

carguy

Added a Pocketwizard Plus III to the mix, Three Plus Xs on the way also (ebay score :D)
$345 for all four shipped. Looking at DIY mounting ideas for the stands... details coming.