New Nikon Owner

The smart way to do manual is to set the auto iso 100-6400 and then adjust your aperture and speed to give an appropriate iso .
I also have sharp set at +9 on all my Nikons D800 d810 7100 and 3300 and if using old lenses up the contrast to +3

Horoscope Fish

The smart way to do manual is to set the auto iso 100-6400 and then adjust your aperture and speed to give an appropriate iso .
I also have sharp set at +9 on all my Nikons D800 d810 7100 and 3300 and if using old lenses up the contrast to +3
Well I suppose that's one way to use Auto-ISO but if I was that concerned with what ISO was being used, I'd either set a specific ISO instead of using Auto at all, or I'd narrow the operating range Auto-ISO can use to one that only included acceptable ISO's.

Personally I use Auto-ISO because ISO doesn't really have a creative component, like shutter-speed and aperture do. That being the case I'll pretty much let the ISO go whatever it needs (within reason) so I can focus on using the aperture and shutter-speed the shot demands to get it where I want it aesthetically speaking. If there's too much "noise" in the shot, I can deal with it in post'. What I can't fix in post is a shot wasted because the aperture and/or shutter speed were not what they should have been.

kevy73

Leave all those settings alone and shoot RAW is smarter still.

Horoscope fish is using a limited range of auto iso a bit like a lightmeter and that works in JPEG and RAW. Upping the sharp improves the rear LCD for chimping and zooming in to check focus.